Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Councillor Dogus - why is Ducketts Common looking like a rubbish tip?

Councillor Dogus,

As councillor responsible for parks, can you please explain why Ducketts Common, the gateway green space to the borough's main shopping area, is looking like this (emailed link to this post at 14:50 Friday 25/03/11). Please don't mention 'cuts' in your answer. Thank you.;

Photos taken Friday 25/03/11, @ 1:30pm.

Good work with the Common is going on through the Friends Group, Groundwork and the council to re-develop the playground and replant certain areas. But it's blighted by this litter, bins overflowing and a general lack of care.

Can you guarantee a plan of action so this doesn't continue to happen Dilek?

Tags for Forum Posts: , , common, common", councillor dogus, cuts, duckett's, duckett's common, litter, parks, public, More…public spending cuts, spending

Views: 1161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A friend of mine, who grew up in the area, said it was always know as Dirty Park, rather than Ducketts Common. It's been so much better though in more recent years - she must be in her early 40s - that I had hope for the small strip of green. Sad to see it so sorry for itself again.

Gotta hand to whoever is feeding the ratbirds - they are doing it on an industrial scale! Surely someone must see them doing it and could have a quiet word. I mean officials, not the likes of us.

Hi all. 

I don't know the area well (sorry), but how about seeing if any of the local shops providing the rubbish would offer to sponsor a regular (e.g. weekly?) tidy-up? (I see two Cafe Nero cups for instance!). Would they pay the "Friends of" group a small amount of cash to coordinate this and/or to develop some behaviour change prompts (e.g. stickers on rubbish bins, or something a bit more innovative?)

Has anyone asked other "Friends of" groups what they do to deter pesky litter-droppers / pigeon-feeders?

Nick

On the spot fines for littering please! A week's work would probably pay for a year's cleaning of the park.

What sort of people leaves a park in this state? Would like to know what their homes look like. Pigs. Ignorant ones.

Its an insult to pigs.

I bet their homes are clean, they just leave their rubbish everywhere else

True Ruth. I apologise to all genuine pigs out there - human pigs not incuded.

It seems to be spreading right across the borough. Living a bit east of the Harringay area, on my walk to Seven Sisters station from near Dorset road, I've noticed the place getting worse by the day, each Monday morning in particular, absolutely disgusting somedays on the back roads.

I was talking to my newsagent Jay and he talked about how people don't even bother putting things in the bin just outside his shop, so he picks up the wrappers people have just bought things in from him. I saw a council fella on one of the estates clearing up litter across the gardens yesterday morning, it was back again by the evening when I was on way home. why do people assume people will clear up after them?

Are we witnessing another early sign of the cuts? cutting down on overtime and temporary staff to keep on top of the refuse? I've not seen a street cleaner for ages.

If so, what can we do? looks like I'll be picking up stuff in our street for a while if so, better order some gloves then. (meaning more on my street thinking I'm crackers!)

Gregg, I know that feeling. Its all cleared and then suddenly a new lot. never ending. I dread walking down my street on Sundays, the litter is blowing around my legs I'm slipping in detrious of the night before.

I pick up big bits near my flat but cant do the whole street and it's just so unncessary that people do this. I've seen people put stuff on street in front of their flats rather than into their wheelie bins. There seems to be a rubbish-wish in some parts and clean streets are abhorrent to some. They need to be caught and fined and educated.

There are too many take aways for sure and they should be made to slap on a bit more for those hideous cartons they use and the unnecessary plastic bags.

Ruth: "caught, fined and educated" EXACTLY! Thank you. Why should we have to pay to have people clean up after these ignorant, selfish w*****s?

I was also sad to see the common in such a sorry state when my son and I went to inspect the playground works the other day.  The council need to empty the bins and do some litter picking and encourage people to have some pride in their environment.  Walking through Woodgreen with a friend visiting from Denmark he asked me whether the bins were emptied on to the street before the streets were cleaned.  He simply did not even consider the sad truth that people just dump their litter in the first place.  You only have to look at the rubbish in front of people's houses to understand how many people have no pride or consideration for their environment so if they pass that on to their kids then...

Yup, higher up the High Road, Woodside Park is in a similarly disgusting state of overflowing bins and scattered packaging.  Clearly the litter picking rostras have been reorganised as part of the ongoing 'efficiency savings'.  In the council's defence, after three phone calls from me, with my secretary of Friends of Woodside Park hat on, a litter picking team went in and cleaned it up.

Hi Michael, We had the same problem at Fairland Park (N8 Harringay) recently and also contacted the council (parks manager for our area of the borough). Here is his reply;

Not sure of the litter schedule at the moment due to cut backs in the service. I will get the Hygiene team down there ASAP.

The park was subsequently cleaned. It appears however there’s a wider problem in the borough and therefore it’s only right that concerns are raised with the councillor responsible for parks, Councillor Dogus. Hopefully she is making enquires and will be getting back to us this week.

As to others points on this thread about people using the bins provided; absolutely!

I had to put the "Chicken & Chips" boxes that those two little boys were eating from on Sunday in the bin. It wasn't too hard, only about 3 metres away I reckon.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service