Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Councillor Dogus - why is Ducketts Common looking like a rubbish tip?

Councillor Dogus,

As councillor responsible for parks, can you please explain why Ducketts Common, the gateway green space to the borough's main shopping area, is looking like this (emailed link to this post at 14:50 Friday 25/03/11). Please don't mention 'cuts' in your answer. Thank you.;

Photos taken Friday 25/03/11, @ 1:30pm.

Good work with the Common is going on through the Friends Group, Groundwork and the council to re-develop the playground and replant certain areas. But it's blighted by this litter, bins overflowing and a general lack of care.

Can you guarantee a plan of action so this doesn't continue to happen Dilek?

Tags for Forum Posts: , , common, common", councillor dogus, cuts, duckett's, duckett's common, litter, parks, public, More…public spending cuts, spending

Views: 1161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm married to a head teacher, and quite often people expect teachers to discipline their kids. I'm not opposed to parents and teachers together taking the kind of action you've described, but I don't think it's sole-ly the responsibility of teachers alone.

Parents need to tell their kids that dropping litter is anti social and offensive; teachers nee to re-enforce that message. You're right though - some kind of action needs to be taken.

Not making a point - just curious - aren't there civics or citizenship classes any more ?

Darrell (Osbawn),

Schools are way ahead on the issue of education regards the 'environment', which includes litter and recycling. When your child starts school you'll quickly realise this.

Speaking of which I have some lovely 'please put your litter in the bins' posters designed by the some NHP pupils which are for Fairland Park. Would you like to help me put them up in the park Darrell? PM me if so.

-----------------------------------------------

To all,

You'll be pleased to hear NHP has recently won a green flag under the eco-school scheme. This is very impressive with a lot of hard work going into educating pupils about the(ir) environment and their taking part in many schemes as a part of their education in order to achieve this award. Well done NHP!

JohnD.

Yes, schools have Personal, Social and Health Education classes (PSHE) which incorporates citizenship afaik.

Various issues are also covered in cross-curricular subjects. For example, this is taken from my Yr5 child's overview for the current term.

"Communication, Language and Literacy

Writing

Can we write a letter to a newspaper to inform them about a global issue?

Can we write an article for a magazine informing the readers about a local issue?

Talk

Can we debate about a local issue?

Can we suggest solutions for a local issue"

Various classes at NHP have taken part in bulb planting in Duckett's Common and Chestnuts Park, and also have visited Hornsey Recycling Centre.

Schools can only do so much. At the end of the day it is parents who take (or alllow) their children to go the park.

It's a huge problem but a start must be made somewhere. Buses in the area frequently strewn with litter- seems like people these days cant even do a bus journey without drinking a can of somethign and eating something. Why we are constantly stuffing our faces with crap is another issue but getting the leftovers taken out of the public spaces is the issue. Education should focus on public, shared spaces and how to respect them.
There is no respect anymore in my view from the majority of people, across the generations.
Hera are a few pics of Bruce Castle Park taken a few years ago. It seems to me the whole of Tottenham is messier than it was then!
Attachments:
Maybe now the litter is not magically disappearing, the scum who drop it will notice and begin to change their behaviour?
The sad thing is, I think most people drop litter because they think it's acceptable. It's acceptable because most people do it... etc.
... and if there is already mess there, what difference does it make if they drop more!?! A lot of people, not just kids, would argue it out with you if you said it was unacceptible in this 'logical' manner.
Ask them if they step in dog shit, would it matter if they were made to have it smeared all over them ?
I agree with much of what is being said and this is a wider issue other than education as I see all kinds of litter being dropped apart from the usual beer can, crisp packets and coffee cups. I regularly pick up litter in Fairlands Park if I am there with the kids. There are often organic fruit bars, organic crisps, baby wipes and nappies even the odd bottle of Jacobs Creek as well as all the other litter! I also agree about blaming the schools, parents are the primary guardians and they should be responsible to teach their kids that this is not acceptable.

People leave litter if they see other litter so ignoring it, especially in small places adds to the problem. Can I plead with folk especially who use Fairlands to take five minutes to pick up the litter and make it look presentable. There is often plastic bags flittering about to collect it all in, or you can take one. I also approach parents who leave the picnic with litter on them as ask them to put it in the bin.

This is a pro-active way you can help and get your hands dirty, admittedly slightly more problematic in larger places such as Ducketts, but you get the drift.

Well said that man!  It's all well and good complaining about how slovenly the great unwashed of our borough are - what is needed is to lead by example.  I have taught my little boy from an early age that litter is not acceptable, and he will happily pick up pieces of litter in the park and proudly announce "I put it in the bin, Mummy". for which I give him lots of praise.  Other mothers, however, rear up in shock if their little darlings touch anything that has not been anti-septically cleansed or boil-washed for half an hour. What message does that send out to our children?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service