Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Council to DEMOLISH £3,285,272 worth of recent, 'Decent Homes' improvements

HARINGEY spent almost £3.3m on new kitchens, bathrooms and windows for blocks of flats ... that are due to be demolished to make way for the new Spurs development and the council’s regeneration of Tottenham.

As recently as 2011 the council spent more than £2m doing up the properties that last year they then earmarked for demolition. The total Decent Homes spend on properties within the High Road West area of Tottenham, including the Love Lane Estate is £3,285,272 broken down as follows:

• 2008/09: £225,835
  • 2009/10: £995,102
  • 2010/11: £2,064,335

The council spent money to bring homes on the Love Lane Estate up to the Decent Homes standard but they now plan to bulldoze the estate and much of the High Road West Area to make way for the new Spurs Stadium and new housing.

The big spending on the Tottenham homes stands in contrast to the lack of spending by the council on homes in the Noel Park Estate. Opposition Councillors have called for vital repairs to the crumbling estate in Wood Green.

It is disappointing and surprising that such a large sum was spent with so little foresight: either it was wrong to spend that money in the first place: or it is wrong to demolish the council houses. Surely both decisions cannot be right?

Here is the full story  [Liberal Democrat website]

Disclosure:
am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Tags for Forum Posts: Decent, Homes, Spurs, Tottenham, waste

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh please, you've got to do better than this. The council stopped doing work on those flats three years ago. The Olympics were less than two years ago. Things change.

The reason you're struggling is because they're implementing policies you might like to. The council tax freeze for instance. If I want to know what the Lib Dems would do if they had control of the council I'll just imagine myself sitting in Muswell Hill and wondering how MY life could be better.

How COULD it be better ?

Frozen/reduced council tax for the same service.

I have not heard that the demolition of Decent Homes-improved properties has been halted; indeed I heard today from a resident local to the area, that c. 60 Decent Homes-improved properties in three buildings, are still up for demolition. General taxation paid for those improvements.

Clive, it links through to something called My Councillor and seems to need a log in.
So £2m spent 5 years ago (that was probably already long overdue) was a waste of money before the Spurs stadium was even approved? I think you're really clutching at straws there, Clive.

I think you're really clutching at straws there, Clive.

Antoinette this isn't an academic or redundant question. Behind the spending of taxpayers' money—and its impending waste—there are human needs at stake.

I'm unaffected personally if the Council demolish all of the Decent Homes improvements: but have you perhaps overlooked the residents in those properties?

Those residents will be clutching at the hope that the Council might change its mind and leave them in their improved homes.

Well quite.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service