Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Council Seeking Views on Proposed Conscientious Objectors' Memorial Stone Outside Salisbury

The Council  received a request earlier this year from a resident who has proposed siting a memorial stone outside Salisbury Pub in memory of our local conscientious objectors 

Your views and suggestions are being sought by the Council.

Please contact Greville.Percival@haringey.gov.uk 

See related posts here and here.

Tags for Forum Posts: conscientious objectors

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To clarify the obvious misunderstandings can I explain that the Haringey First World War Peace Forum have been working on their in depth research into this area of local WW1 history for 4 years and their work has been published in several Hornsey Historical Society Bulletins and has been covered in the local press and at national academic conferences.

The Memorial has been under discussion for over a year and will be funded entirely by HFWWPF, not Haringey Council.

It appears to have taken the council over a year to get round to consulting the community.

Three well regarded local historians are heavily involved in this project and I can see no reason why anyone would want to object to commemorating people who played such an important role in the history of Hornsey, Tottenham and Wood Green.

You may wish to inform yourself by looking at the website https://hfwwpf.wordpress.com

I served as a volunteer in the Regular Army but I have immense respect for those who, for reasons of conscience, refused to take up arms.

Far from being cowards, Knavel, these men were extremely brave in standing up for their beliefs against the enormous pressures to conform brought to bear on them and their families. Their treatment by the authorities was no easy option and they were conscripted into the most unpleasant and dangerous civilian occupations.

I look forward to the installation of the memorial.

Good man, well said.

Hear, hear!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service