Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

With so much debate on HoL about too much traffic and getting a balance between the needs of residents, businesses, commuters, shoppers, drivers, walkers,,bus users and cyclists (along with environmental stuff around pollution and air quality), I thought people might be interested in seeing this article. It's about a proposal to create underground cycling paths on disused tube lines in central London. This is really radical thinking and I wonder if there's potential to do this between Manor House and Turn Pike Lane? If it ever happens, I'm sure it wiould take years, but the debate/interest has got to begin somewhere...!

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2015/02/05/would-you-take-the-lond...

Views: 658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not impossible - the idea was being considered mainly for two sets of disused tunnels, which sort of meet at the former Aldwych station, off the Strand. Walking was included as well as cycling.

I would think that TFL might be doing a rough check of whether something like that might be feasible on the Holborn - Aldwych link. That wouldn't need too much capital expenditure apart from installing new lifts at Aldwych. It would probably be more feasible for walking than cycling (safer and with less infrastructure). There is however the awkward question of whether people would be willing to pay to walk, indeed to pay enough to cover the cost of maintaining and staffing the link.

TFL would also lose any future income from hiring out the spooky disused platforms for music videos or films!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service