Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hey all

Bit of a rant here. What is the story with Costa Coffee taking up more than half of the pavement with signage and tables? Is that actually allowed? Check the attached photo.

My partner earlier today was pushing our son in a buggy and had to stop and wait for a people walking in a single in order to get around their signage and barriers. She went in and complained but they never bothered to move them. I went back in later when i saw they were still taking up more than half of the pavement. The girl didnt believe me and she smuggly told me to show her. Which i did, and they moved them.

Anyone know what the law is with this? How much space can they actually legally take? We'll need to walk in the gutter soon.

Tags for Forum Posts: Costa, coffee

Views: 3414

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The new paving has i believed made it easier for this encroachment all the way down GL… It seems that the traders have carte blanche on what happens to our environment - all for profit that presumably leaves this area to be banked ..where?      Meanwhile the Council and us foot the bill in so many ways…It seems the Council is merely there to rubber stamp whatever the restaurant business demands. This is also a residential area.

One man's nuisance is another's bustling, inviting, European style street life. I can't see a single picture here without plenty of room for sensible people to pass and I for one love and encourage more people and businesses onto our pavements. It seems nothing can be done in Haringay without it polarising some section of the community. What a contrary bunch we are.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit out on Green Lanes with all the fumes, apart from smokers of course.  I sat outside the Old Ale Emporium a couple of Sundays back for no more than half an hour and it was positively awful.  (Sorry OAE - not your fault obviously!!)

Suppose it comes down to what you think the basic function of a pavement is. For me it's for pedestrians first and anything else second. If they pavement can sensibly accommodate walking, seating and trading, fine. On parts of GL though the piss is well and truly being taken.

I agree Michael.

European style street life often consists of people eating and drinking in 'squares' where there is limited vehicle access, as well as a few tables outside a café which are not hogging a pedestrian area.

I avoid buying fruit and veg which has been on display outside on GL for several days. The state of some of the shops round here is very off-putting.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service