Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

FAQs /Easy version

School Admissions Consultation

H & H article

This only applies to primary schools at the moment.  I would have though the issue is even more pressing for secondary schools?

I don't get how this is a consultation though. I have heard nothing via the schools my children attend.

Views: 1287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely the collective is not a " bevy of cygnets  "  but a " cygnet ring " ?

Thanks for this everyone - I'd not been aware of it until I read something in the Standard about it today (the article mentioned Haringey was the second borough to be looking at this issue). Knew I'd find something here!

Like others I'm a bit mystified that they are only looking at primary schools. It's always a bit anecdotal but my sense is that there is a lot more out and out playing the system when it comes to entry to secondaries than primaries. It would be great to see more emphasis on where children live. I've said that in my response.
My guess is that they will try it out for primaries first and then extend to secondaries later.....

I may attempt to trundle up to the meeting on Friday at Wood Green Library. Will report back! As Antoinette says, I guess Primary may be the 'test-the-water' option as I guess the equivalent changes for Secondary would be more controversial (though more pressing I would say)

I'm just curious - why would it be more controversial for secondaries? I would have thought It was the other way round due to the potential for a family having to get young children to different primaries...
Just because the moving house for first child then moving back again seems like a more widespread practice at secondary stage. I might be wrong though, i'm a bit out of touch with primary these days
In a sense I'm as guilty as anyone of buying a house to be in the catchment area of a particular school... who'd have thought 200 yards wasn't close enough to get in.... obviously though the difference being I'm still in the same house 10 years later so this wasn't a short term gain scenario just what I thought at the time was good planning...

There is a distinct difference between moving into a catchment and living there than renting and moving out again or someone getting hold of a convenient address (as I know some folks that have done).

In answer to Antoinette's question about why secondary is possibly more controversial, I suspect folks see secondary as being more critical for them and so they are less willing to not get the school of their choice, whereas they can live with not getting their first choice at primary level (?).

Looking at the cut off distances for secondaries I find myself (again) outside of the catchment area of any school so will get shunted to the nearest under subscribed school no matter how far away that may be.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service