Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Considering moving to Harringay Ladder - Cold feet!!

Hi there - as above, I'm close to having an offer accepted on a house on the Harringay Ladder (towards the North, Green Lanes end), but getting cold feet! I've never lived in the area so only know it from having wandered around looking at houses. It all looked ok to me, but I'm reading a lot of criticism online so starting to have second thoughts. Main issues seems to be about crime, bad schools, rat infestations, lack of 'things to do', overpriced housing...

I thought I'd made my mind up, but now a bit concerned. I'd really appreciate some views from people who already live there...it can't be that bad surely?!

Tags for Forum Posts: what's harringay like?

Views: 18440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Catchment for schools varies from year to year, depending on how many people apply so it's difficult to say where you might need to live in the future to get a place at any given school. South Harringay is also highly regarded locally. My personal experience of sending my children to North Harringay was not good, but a couple of years have passed since my kids left, and everything can change in that space of time.

We've lived locally for 15 1/2 years now, though on the N15 side of Green Lanes/St Ann's Rd where, as many have said, there are savings to be had. There are things I don't like about it, but overall, it's been a good place for us and our kids (now 15 and 12) with lots of community feeling. When you do have kids, that's when you really start to embed yourself in an area and meet other parents. I rarely leave the house without seeing someone I know, if only by sight, and there're plenty of community groups to get involved in, if you're that way inclined.

I say go for it.

Thanks Carol. Should I infer from your comments on catchment area that Effingham is likely to be on the boundaries - i.e. in the catchment area some years and not in the catchment area other years?

Yes, I'm definitely keen to be involved in the local community, as that's something I've missed in West london.

Exactly, though you're only 2 streets away there, so it will depend how popular the school is when you apply. We live on the other side of Green Lanes, and had no problem getting our kids in a few years ago - that might be different now. You've got a good chance on Effingham, I'd guess.

I think you get out of the community what you put into it. You'll often see the same faces at local events and there are a number of people that we could all name who are always at the coal face, organising the Green Lanes Food Festival, or the local community cinema group, or the annual local community group quiz night etc. You just have to join in and you'll be part of things. It's definitely good like that round here.

As I said, it varies from year to year, so there's always a chance that South Harringay might be a possibility depending on what things are like when Alex applies (and given that there are no children as yet, it could be a while). It's certainly the nearest school to Effingham, yes. They might also consider a Catholic school, which then adds St John Vianney into the mix...

Effingham is the nicest? Surely all the roads are the same? Wait, are you talking about the pavements? The Effingham Mayoral Highway? Oh yes, they're nice. They cost £100,000, they should be nice.

*snigger*

Oh yes, John - those are the marmoreal pavements Brian Haley forced our once and future Mayor to have laid on her Effing road. She didn't know how smoothly expensive they were till she drew the curtains one morning and behold! there they were. At least Mary Neuner had the good taste to die before having a private avenue named after her. Whatever happened to our Brian after his brief but doomed flirtation with the LDs?  I think he had ambitions to become London's Czar of Waste or something.

So, Alex, have those feet warmed up at all?

Well, I've certainly had a lot of reassuringly positive responses. I really like the fact that there seems to be a genuine community spirit, which is something I've missed a bit in West London.

We just need to figure out whether the house itself is right for us now!

Hello, thought I'd add my own to this having lived in both Hammersmith and the Ladders.  Moving from Hammersmith you will miss the river, especially in summer and the easy access to a diverse range of restaurants (Fulham,Chelsea, Notting Hill + Kensington).  I realise people on here will respond with the restaurants on the Lanes but as much as I like the food and brilliant service it is not diverse, Crouchend is better and then Islington but still its not the same.  You will however find the area less polluted and a lot safer at night than W6. 

I lived in W6 when I was in my early 20s and loved the pubs by the river or going to Richmond on Friday night but now as a family man I like the sense of community, the good primary schools, the large affordable houses and North London in general.

Green Lanes takes some getting used to and at times you will wonder who let some of the people out on their own but generally its a good place to live but it will remain wedded to its roots, so understand and accept this and you will be happy, ie its not going to turn into CrouchEnd or Muswell Hill but most people don't want it to.

Hello

I have lived in one of the Gardens roads - opposite side of Green Lanes - for 18 years now. I like it here although I was wary when I first moved to the area.

There is a very active Residents Association in the Gardens - I know the Ladder residents have one too. People seem friendlier than in other places I have lived in London.

Transport is excellent, food shops and restaurants are good. Rats aren't an real issue - foxes eat them!

Jen

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service