Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Hornsey Journal reports today on various aspects of this week's traffic meeting, including latest accidents involving pesdestrians and vehicles.

Shefik rightly says below (quoted);

Shefik Mehmet, chairman of the Harringay Traders' Association, told a special meeting to discuss traffic issues on Monday: "We are killing people on Green Lanes because of the heavy traffic.

"Two weeks ago someone got killed along Green Lanes and that same evening there was a young lady knocked down by a car and now she's fighting for her life.

"We are making hell on the road with 24-hour heavy traffic."

Another smaller article in the same newspaper reports on the traders walking out of the traffic meeting, angry that parking bays aren't being provided outside their shops to encourage more trade from those customers that choose to drive to Green Lanes to shop.

Tags for Forum Posts: high street parking, high streets

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazing hypocrisy. I think a lot more people would shop on Green Lanes if there was less traffic. Not only is it noisy, crowded and dangerous, but also I don't want to eat fruit and veg that has sat in traffic fumes all day.
I don't want to eat fruit and veg that has sat in traffic fumes all day.

Agree.
Unfortunately most fruit and veg has been exposed to various chemicals be it from Green Lanes or elsewhere unless you grow it your self or pay five times the price to a Hertfordshire Land Owner at a "farmers market".

I would love Green Lanes to be less busy, the traders need custom and deliveries, we need shops on our doorstep but you cannot have parking spaces willy nilly for lazy sods to come and collect their melons.
I'd rather pay extra at a farmers market - not five times more, but a little extra - just to know that it has been grown not too far away, and with the minimum of chemicals
A local supermarket does a good deal on fresh organic carrots & mushrooms, grown in England, supporting jobs locally too. Maybe that's your answer. You can pop down by cycle or on foot.
Does that mean tobbaco as well, grown locally and fume wise : )

What about yer Bananas, olives and wine, which home county do they grow in?

My community comes first, rich landowners second. I would love local organic food on Green Lanes, I prefer co-op organic not cashing in on a middle class trend.

You can buy your food inside shops not just outside.
I don't think the guy I buy veg from at the farmers market is very rich - but I do know that he cares about the food he grows and the impact it has on the environment. If he grew bananas and olives, I'd buy them from him.
I do buy a lot of stuff on Green Lanes and I agree that it would be great to have an organic co-op there.
Personally, I've never met a middle-class trend that I didn't like!
Popped by Farmers market at Ally Pally at weekend as we were at the nearby plant nursery. The only fruit & veg stall there was doing little business. Most people were going for the added value products, such as Muna's Eritrean delights (!).
@DZ: Jazz?
Well I like the idea of jazz....
Brian Haley:
He added: "The recent accidents are an emotive subject but we must remember that this is not how it always is.

"Year on year Haringey has gone down in the number of serious injuries we have on our roads.

Wasn't Gina admonished by David Lammy for a similar statistics/awards vs. reality speech at the special Area Assembly a while ago?

Brian, if you're reading this: you have grown too cynical doing this job, you need to ask yourself why you're doing it because it's not to represent your constituents which is what it's supposed to be. It's not about the money, it's about how much you want it.
Yes I read that quotation of Haley in absolute disbelief. I didn't stay for the excuses panel at the traffic meeting as someone started on about 'three buses coming all at once'.

I guess Haleyplacency comes from being around forever and unchallenged.

But back to the traders. Would have been nice to have a little chat about parking and their needs as local business people. Maybe once they had been given space to put their case (which Haley shut down very quickly indeed) some of us could have had a nice little chat over coffee with the traders about letting in outsiders wishing not to sell jewellery, kebabs or 'melons'.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service