Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council seems intent on closing more of Wightman Road than necessary to prevent an increase in traffic on the ladder roads which sounds laudable (providing you live on a ladder road.)

If traffic can no longer go down Wightman Road, it will have to find an alternative route like Turnpike Lane or Green Lanes. This will significantly increase the traffic on those roads and cause more congestion which could be relieved if the ladder roads were open to traffic.

If my local main road was closed, I should expect more traffic to come down my residential road temporarily and why not?

Poorly thought out road works have played havoc with both public and private transport largely due to poorly thought out arrangements pandering to nimbyism.

Surely it would be best to simply close the smallest section of Wightman Road possible which would be one ladder road north and south of the bridge?

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3336

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I support an up to date version. An outer London congestion charge to reduce car commuting. A huge cause of pollution on Wightman, Green Lanes etc. The central London charge has made a massive improvement.

Wightman Rd is NOT a main road. Green Lanes is.

It is only pavement parking, it's length and the reconfigured junction with Hornsey Park rd that makes you think that. I appreciate it that it's been designated a B road, like Colney Hatch Lane, but we disagree with this.

The ladder is the last point in Haringey without substantial closing off to through traffic and it has been getting worse and worse over the years as others have used political power to close off their roads or in some cases entire neighbourhoods.

What right have you to take a short cut through residential streets to avoid some traffic lights on a main road? What right has anyone to CHOOSE the road that will be the first one you can turn up from Green Lanes onto for five months?

The important point is not whether the road is main or not. It is the fact that roads are for everyone, not just those who live on them.

I think I do have a right to drive down Wightman Road because on the few occasions when I do choose to use it, it is because I believe it to be the best route.

Pushing traffic onto other roads, simply makes the problem worse on someone else's patch and it is often far from fuel efficient.

look if the pressure is northbound, then as a temporary measure, why not reopen the gardens roads and harringay road. theyre about the same width as wightman - maybe even wider - they could institute pavement parking and a one way system and we could have the 120,000 cars that hugh says use wightman each week whizzing though harringay in no time at all. over the five months that 2.6 milllion cars would disappear from sight. solved!

How would reopening the gardens road or hermitage road reduce any through traffic to the ladder roads? They're closed to stop rat running and they work very well. A better solution would be to make the whole of Harringay including the garden, the ladder and Wightman road unattractive to rat running by introducing more driving restrictions not less.

This is missing the fact that the pinch point on Green Lanes is the Harringay Green Lanes railway bridge - the alternative routes at this point are Wightman (now closed) & Hermitage Road (closed some time ago, before the Gardens roads) & Seven Sisters road (further away, very much open).

If you really want to get more traffic down Green Lanes you should be campaigning to knock down the buildings on one side (East or West?) & rebuilding the rail bridge etc etc, but this would create more traffic & you'd get a new pinch point somewhere else.

Andrew Gilligan has got a good piece in the Standard on this issue: "The only way to tackle air quality is to reduce traffic"

It seems that any one living on The Ladder and using a car is doubly inconvenienced here, Firstly , contending with the queues of traffic from Crouch End/Muswell Hill directions AND then , having to travel along Turnpike Lane to turn right on to Green lanes, where no Right Turn filter seems to have been provided, and on to whichever Ladder Road they live on. I understand that the closure of Wightman Road is , maybe, to lessen the extra traffic down the Ladder Roads, but, the situation is absurd. If the Wightman Road closure is for the benefit of Ladder Residents, maybe It would have been a plan to issue all those who hold Resident's Parking Permits with a pass to allow them to access Wightman Road, as there are already plenty of HiVis Traffic Marshals in attendance to allow or deny this access

Where were all you people when the consultations where going on? You've certainly found this website when you need to vent and it's been very well publicised here and presumably in the weekly email that Hugh and Liz send out.

I don't actually remember receiving much information about this at all. As a resident on Lausanne Road, it would have been nice to have been given a map as to where the road blocks where. I knew a bridge was being replaced not known much I guess it was the one before new river village, as there was bridge replacement signage was up. Not they were blocking wightman road, and a different bridge was being replaced. Personally my concern is not for the 6 months, but rather what exactly these permanent  "gates" they are introducing means, Living on a North Ladder "up" road, it will be really annoying to have to go back down and up turn pike lane, to get to Hornsey every day. Also Turnpike lane has no right turn as you drive to Hornsey, so without going on Wightman road its very difficult to get to the dump. By the looks of it I could still have gone up Raleigh Road, I guess I will see on my drive back from deepest Hartfordshire.

I am looking forward to the Gridlock that is going to happen as Lausanne/Frobisher road are on there own segment of Wightman road, when the churches (particularly the one next to the Queen head.... Sorry Dogtas) next meet.

As to where was I when the consultations were happening, I don't remember getting any information about them, I assume my oppion does not matter anyway, and frankly I understand works have to happen some time. Also John while you say wightman road is a "B" road, I question the fact the bridge is being upgraded to a level that it can be used as an A road also blaming European requirements for this upgrade that is not required if it were to maintain its B road status. I rember the council did at one time what to make Wightman road a Wood green bypass... and it looks like they have kept that option open, rather than putting it to bed by not upgrading the bridge.

"I rember the council did at one time what to make Wightman road a Wood green bypass... and it looks like they have kept that option open, rather than putting it to bed by not upgrading the bridge." <- Yes they have, haven't they? And who is taking the can for doing that? Why the residents of the ladder, those nimbies!

I don't really understand your answer, calling us nimbus for blocking the "wood green bypass", also you state that Wightman is a "B" road, however the bridge is being upgraded to 'A' road status. Yet the council has decided to make the whole of wightman road unusable... 

What classification of road do you think it should be? As I can't tell....  Myself I was happy enough to live on a "rat run", living on the first up road after ducketts common, far more than what they have done to it now. I appear to live on a school run "loop", which is the only reason I can see for not blocking the end of Lausanne/frobisher road as well... 

I don't know if you've actually tried it but I did today and it really wasn't that bad. I expected Armageddon but no...just a bit of extra queuing. In fact- i was astonished...still can't explain it except that perhaps the traffic just did what it does- found another way through. 

plenty of time to make a more measured judgement though!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service