Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council seems intent on closing more of Wightman Road than necessary to prevent an increase in traffic on the ladder roads which sounds laudable (providing you live on a ladder road.)

If traffic can no longer go down Wightman Road, it will have to find an alternative route like Turnpike Lane or Green Lanes. This will significantly increase the traffic on those roads and cause more congestion which could be relieved if the ladder roads were open to traffic.

If my local main road was closed, I should expect more traffic to come down my residential road temporarily and why not?

Poorly thought out road works have played havoc with both public and private transport largely due to poorly thought out arrangements pandering to nimbyism.

Surely it would be best to simply close the smallest section of Wightman Road possible which would be one ladder road north and south of the bridge?

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 3337

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

You should also consider Car Club Membership... very useful to be able to hire a car by the hour though you need to plan ahead generally....

Started looking at zipcar but find their conditions a bit scary re insurance. Even a damaged wiper blade is chargeable and it's of course down to each driver to check condition of the car before they drive off in case the last driver did some damage, even if minor. Do you use them much?

Peter

If you had got sixty year old legs like mine, you would know !!!

But it doesn't matter whether the journey is by car or bus, both will be slowed down whichever way you travel.

Typically if I use Wightman Road, it would be on the way to Sainsburies, Suffolk or Kent. TfL buses don't always go where I want when I want.

Peter does have 60 old legs Patrick! But he's still good with running about the football pitch with 5-a-side footie :)

On another note. It is impossible for me to park anywhere near to my house during office hours as those damned tube users park in my non cpz road to get to work...how dare they!
But i dont want to have a cpz to stop them. I want less cpzs everywhere. The only reason they are in my road is because everyone else has a cpz!
And guess what, i park in non cpzs that arent my own too.

If we are to properly rationalise these policies - balancing all stakeholders, and the environment, it has to be done widely and equitably. And not by pitting one group against the other. We are suffering enough from this locally, nationally and globally as it is.

CPZs are really creeping revenue raising through the back door. If you have a CPZ, it does not mean you will have anywhere to park. It does nothing increase available parking resource. It may not even be enforced 24X7.

What is interesting is if Road A has a CPZ, then everyone parks more on Road B. Road B then gets a CPZ and then more parking Road C which also gets one.   It is a bit like Pyramid Scheme and a brilliant way to boost revenue. 

Absolutely, cpzs are a rip off and simply another tax on car users pure & simple. And then there's the tax on petrol, one of the highest in the world and it ain't done for environmental reasons either.

agreed CPZs are a pain in the behind. Also- i have one in my street and *still* can't always park there. go figure. 

What, in your mind, constitutes a 'main road' Patrick?

Good point. I regard a road that joins connurbations or different areas counts as a main road for me - and that could be an A or B road.  

I don't agree with John here. I live at the bottom of Muswell Hill and if were driving East or South East out of London, I would normally drive down Wightman Road because it is the best route to take.

If there were road works at the Priory/Park Road Junction, then I would expect people to drive down my road - and not to be diverted round Muswell Hill or Crouch End.

Road are for everyone - not just people living beside a road.

Wightman isn't the best route- you choose it because it's the fastest because it has no lights and less traffic than Green lanes and you can move through quicker. You'll think me pedantic, but it's not actually the same thing. 

You actually already live in an area where roads are not for everyone- some people get to keep theirs nice and quiet. Want to know why you wouldn't drive out of Crouch End even though that takes you directly south? Because all the traffic is forced to use the main routes. Congestion on Park Road and Hornsey high street is a natural brake to further traffic entering the area and its much easier for you to go across to the ladder than negotiate the slow moving traffic moving directly south from where you live. 

Turnpike Lane used to have a toll gate back in the day of horses. Maybe it should be reintroduced a little further back by the railway bridge, west to east only of course :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service