Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following Cllr Nilgun Canver's suspension, Claire Kober has added Joe Ejiofor to her "cabinet". The new list is posted on the Council website here; together with their responsibilities.  John Bevan now has the hot potato environment brief, previously held by Nilgun. This includes: recycling, waste and street cleaning; environmental enforcement; highways; parking; and parks and green spaces.

For me the most interesting change is that Claire Kober herself is now listed as responsible for the "Northumberland Park Project". In other words, making sure the Council arranges for the Social Cleansing of a swathe of North Tottenham. It's useful that Cllr Kober has publicly nailed her right-wing colours to this mast, rather than let Cllr Alan Strickland take the flak.

Of course, the issues here go far wider. Frankly, I'm embarrassed that after 15 years on the Council I've only recently been reading academic material which analyses and exposes this supposed "regeneration" for what it really is. (Professor Loretta Lees is my latest "discovery".)

Tags for Forum Posts: Anna Minton, Claire Kober, Loretta Lees, Nilgun Canver, North Tottenham, Social Cleansing, regeneration, reshuffle

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We all want this though! Even when people bang on about sending your kids to the local schools instead of private they neglect to acknowledge that the local schools are full and that this means they must want some of the "non-local" kids moved out to make room.

It's just that the kind of regeneration done by government/developers is not the kind we want. We want the kind done by artists and young people, e.g. Hoxton, Shoreditch and now Dalston.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service