Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Well, despite the council's best efforts the annual Christmas tree spot begins well with 4 in Warham Road this morning.

Christmas tree spotting #1Christmas tree spotting #2 & 3Christmas tree spotting #4

Tell us your tally.
Prizes for the most spotted and for the one dumped in the most unusual place (photographic evidence preferred:) )
Special prize for the last one spotted in the year (Alan S claimed he saw one in April last year)

Seriously though, Alan's idea that Haringey retailers be asked to distribute a leaflet when the tree is sold detailing how to get rid of the tree seems to be a good one, as I doubt that many people actually go to the Haringey site to find out what to do, despite there being ample advice on it (oh and on here as well).

Tags for Forum Posts: christmas tree disposal, christmas tree recycling, christmas trees, dumping

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Liz
Nice one, to bring this problem up on the online site - It was a major problem in the Gardesns Area years ago with the Xmas tree being blown down the roads like tumble weed in a cowboy film - so thats why we teamed up with Haringey Council to work in partnership and set up our own recycling point in the Community Garden in Doncaster Gardens off Stanhope Gardens - We have caried out Xmas Tree Recycling their since 2003 and collect around 50 tree's per season we have about 30 which have been delivered at the moment. The Scheme runs from 1st Jan to 16th 9am to 4pm and all you have to do is drop it off in the Community Garden Space Doncaster Gardens Off Stanhope Gardens off Green Lanes - No cutting down etc ? easy any one can do that? or else people can cut them down and put them into their Garden Waste Sack and the Council will take them.

My clasic today was dropping the boy off at nursery and I spotted one dumped next to a builders skip on Warwick Gardens? so I just dragged it up the road to the Community Garden - No problem ?

I tell you what also I have a lovely tree in a pot about 2 ft high which is well rooted in the Community Garden, I have left it out in case someone would like to give it a home? Free to any one who wants to give it a good home?

Cheers and Happy New Year to all
Andy - The Gardens Community Garden Co-ordinator (GRA)
"Claimed?" I saw in April?

Was this a Christmas tree I saw before me?
You'd be so lean, that blasts of January.
You had such a February face,
And the ides of March remembered.
Until in the uncertain glory of an April alley,
Lonely, apart. But here is is.
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As those which Liz now tallies.
Well that sets the bench mark pretty high. This year, can anyone beat April as the latest time of year to spot discarded Christmas tree?

All the trees above have now been stickered by council as dumped with threats of fines. Oddly enough, like festive triffids, they all inched away from the walls of the houses where I originally photographed them.

Tree number 1 has joined the cones (31 days and counting since first request to remove them) to create a lovely vista from my window.Cones

Tree 2 suddenly threw itself into a gutter in despair at the end of its life and its loss of glamour.
Tree 3 shuffled up and joined company with the three rotting mattresses a little further up, perhaps to drink cheap booze and hope for better days.

The whereabouts of tree 4 is underdetermined at this time.

Now if they could just inch down to the Community garden maybe hitching a lift from dumped trolley, we would all believe in Christmas miracles.
wounded trolley
Idea from NYC - everyone loves a fest.
Fascinating that designated New York City parks offer the same service as in some Haringey parks. But from your link, Liz, they do it with Pizazz. of course, it's hard to measure whether added style and wit make a difference to the outcome.

Though, thinking of the Berlin bin-men posters and calendar campaign, even if it didn't, at least it would brighten-up winter!
That's what I thought.

Don't call it a service, call it a fest and add a little sparkle.

Don't make it seem like a chore but a sort of 'tree hugger fest' maybe provide a small token like a badge that says 'A christmas tree is for life not just for Christmas'

A Christmas Tree story
for people having a bad day:

When four of Santa's elves got sick, the trainee elves did not produce toys as fast as the regular ones, and Santa began to feel the Pre-Christmas pressure.

Then Mrs Claus told Santa her mother was coming to visit, which stressed Santa even more.

When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had jumped the fence and were out, Heaven knows where.

Then when he began to load the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked, the toy bag fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered.

Frustrated, Santa went in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum. When he went to the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drank all the cider and hidden the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, and it broke into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom.

Just then the doorbell rang, and irritated, Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, and there stood a little angel with a great big Christmas tree. The angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'

And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.
Think I've won my own competition by spotting this tree yesterday (Saturday) at the bottom of Warham Road
Christmas tree in March
Congratulations! What's your prize?
Photographic evidence needed, Ben. The competition should close on the 30th November perhaps? I'm betting Alan will turn a Christmas tree up in Tottenham later than this.

p.s. Have just been out and sure enough there is a Xmas tree there - 2 in one weekend in March, how odd? There's also an old chair in case anyone fancies a sit down.
Christmas tree in March #2

Ben S currently in first place for latest Xmas tree spot 2009. Both now reported via Fix My Street complete with photos
Another couple of weeks and they could have been Spring Equinox Trees.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service