Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As the Pagan festival now known as 'christmas' approaches the time has come for the usual crop of Christmas money grabbers to get their troops out on the streets. 

Two of the best known of 'the usual suspects' are Samaritans Purse (or Operation Christmas Child) and those Santa hat wearing members of the UCKG, who will shortly appear on your streets rattling buckets. 

Local trade unionists have specifically alerted the public to the UCKG via leaflets they gave out at the Harringay Food Festival in September, but for those of you who don't know about them, here is a link to a blog that tells you a bit about this bunch of money-grabbers. 

http://domesticextremist.org/2009/12/23/uckg-the-charity-that-just-...

As regards that other bunch of Crazy Christians known at 'Operation Christmas Child', here is what the National Secular Society said about them in its online newspaper Newsline this week. 

http://www.secularism.org.uk/operation-christmas-child.html

Fact is, there are MANY churches in Haringey doing GENUINE work with the needy that could do with your support at this time of year. Don't forget Crisis too, an organisation I spent many a Christmas volunteering with. And, there are also lots of other entirely secular charities that need support. 

Here is a list from the British Humanist Association website. 

http://www.humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/...

Another good cause is the Cyberknife appeal at Barts Hospital that seeks to raise £3m for a revolutionary cancer treatment system. For further details, search Google for 'cyberknife, Barts'. 

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Erm, it's not a pagan festival. It may take its date (more or less) from a pre-Christian festival but it is still patently not a pagan festival; the clue is in the name.

The best historical reference is entitled 'Did the Christians Steal Christmas' by Robert Stotfold, which points to that time of year being a Pagan festival. The story of 'christ' of course is the amalgamation of a number of myths prevelant in ancient times that created a new myth, there of course, never having been an actually historical figure.

Of course. (Backs away slowly...)
Paulie you chicken, come back.

Ha! Is that a chicken or a turkey?

("Is that a turkey or a baby?" Sorry, film quote that crept in for some reason)

Ignoring the hideous picture Matt posted (not that that's possible), I shall happily engage further in witty jousting in the spirit (40% proof, it seems) of this thread. Now, John, what do you want me to comment on?

Jesus as an entirely fictional character who never actually existed.

"there of course, never having been an actually historical figure."

And you know this how, Reggie ? It's notoriously difficult to prove a negative.

Relax, John and Paulie. Reggie was referring to two different festivals, Crisismas and Crazymas. He wasn't talking through his old man's hat but made one or two accidental typos. At least there'll be ham & turkey a-plenty for the rest of us: Baldwins won't be depending on veggiereggie.

In the interests of putting all royalty tanners into the hat of the National Secular Society where they belong, the 32-page bestseller Reggie recommended so highly was authored by Robert Stovold - not Stotfold.  Stotfold is a town full of Methodists and Joiners. Let's ensure that VR's demythologisation efforts do not unintentionally go awry or fall upon stony ground.

Your local Old Roman Repro.

Indeed not. Baldwins will not be depending on me. The clue IS in this case, in the name! Merry Whateva!

Last year, old Catholic reprobates and happy humanists alike were generous in contributing a few euros towards buying Christmas dinner for homeless refugees who were guests at Giuseppe Conlon house in Mattison Road, run by London Catholic Worker. I was happy to collect and deliver the cash and can do so again if anyone is interested. CARIS Haringey who work with homeless families and are based at St Ann's church would also appreciate donations. I believe that Harringay United church on Green Lanes were part of the Winter Shelter programme. So a fair few very local places where you can spread a little Christmas cheer.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service