Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Who would have thought 'healthy' fried chicken in Tottenham would be such a media sensation. ..http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/chicken-town-1

Views: 3242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed.

Well, I did go there last night - with a very open mind. To cut to the chase, the food was good (note, not excellent). The food took over an hour to arrive, the waiting staff were very unattentive (had to repeatedly call them over and ask if they could provide a second round of drinks(juices) and idle, and the music was far too loud (though they had a good selection of music playing).  A 12.5% 'service' charge was added. I made my views known - leading one waiter to say all drinks were "on the house". When the bill finally arrived, guess what? They were still on there. Arrived at 20:00 and left at 22:00 - thought fried chicken, even of the healthy variety, came under "fast food"? No gluten-free option and the disabled toilet was out of order, too. The Big Cheese, was very apologetic, and just charged for the food. I promised to make a second visit because even excellent establishments have 'bad' days. My other observation was that it is not cheap - £12 for a few chicken legs, fries and sweet potatoes. They are obviously not wanting to catch the eyes - and wallets - of locals. 

Justin thanks for your account. I haven't tried it out yet but appreciate your detailed assessment – I was surprised at your hour's wait: must have been busy and packed: a good sign?

A few weeks ago, I did stand outside the restaurant for a while; a local who has actual experience of catering pointed out to me that the staff did not wear hair-nets, which I am told is a fairly basic food hygiene requirement when preparing food for sale. Also, women are supposed to tie any long hair back, although I wasn't sure if that was applicable.

I'm afraid I see this as a Haringey Council vanity project at a time when such projects can be ill-afforded.

The £210,000 soft loan from public funds is soft indeed. The only way that taxpayers will get their money back will be if the venture is wildly successful.

In my view, any negative publicity and the large positive free publicity – again, much of it tax-payer-funded: I refer to the Haringey People advertorial and on the Local Authority website – will make little difference to the success or failure of this venture.

In due course, it's boosters and critics will tire of commenting and those visiting to try it out a new offer (once) will wane. It will then succeed or fail on its inherent characteristics.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party

Fairly busy, yes--not packed out. Clive you could ask the council what the market rate would be for the free advertising given to this venture in the Haringey Pravda.

The idea is the evening prices subsidise the lunchtime kids menu.
And the night time prices are comparable with similar restaurants elsewhere.
Yes, I was thinking of places like Chicken Shop or Dirty Burger.

Elsewhere? Where? Crouch End, perhaps?

The places I was thinking of are in Kentish Town, but there are similar places all over. I meant "high end" fast food - free range chicken, burgers in a brioche bun etc

Er, this is Tottenham. Disagree with good - and healthy - food having to be at a premium. 

There's probably a difference in rent, but other overheads are the same everywhere.

They don't pay any...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service