Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Central government offering a scheme to return weekly bin collections

Did everyone see this in the Telegraph today: tgr.ph/zMBhN9 

Apparently Ed Pickles is announcing a scheme to give funds to councils to return to weekly collections. Will Haringey council take up the offer? I urge everyone who cares about this issue to contact the council today.

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rachella. 

I hope you don't mind if I suggest that people may want to look at the existing thread on this subject before commenting.

Thanks Hugh!

Here's more on this on this DCLG's website.

What is Pickles' agenda? He goes on and on about Labour councils but this is not party political. Is it that he fills his own bin with pizza boxes so fast that he needs special treatment?

Enjoy your fortnightly collections, it will have to keep becoming more and more infrequent till the massive problem of superfluous packaging and waste in general is resolved. Give it a couple more years....

I have a serious problem with the attitude of the nanny state that the only way people will recycle is if rubbish collection is cut. London -- and my neighbourhood specifically -- is the worse place I've ever lived when it come to recycling.

If the council paid a little attention to educating residents, giving them an incentive to recycle and making it easier to recycle, uptake would be much higher.

The pickles plan allows for incentives -- he used the example of birmingham where people get nectar points i think.

And he also used the example of Bournemouth where there is smart recycling, you put all your junk into one bin and then all the material is sorted at the waste disposal plant - including composting etc. 

Haringey have no intention of applying for a grant which is a real miss because it could lead the way in incentivising people to recycle. 

Watch out for the bin wardens and no doubt the fines they will impose to extract as much cash out of people in the borough. 

My incentive to recycle is that it is simply the right thing to do. Why should we have to bribe people to do this? I'm chuffed that it is now possible to get my recycling taken from my doorstep instead of having to go miles to find the set of roadside bins, which was the way it was done until not that long ago.

But yes to education. How difficult can it be? Really?

That's great for you. This is why I also recycle. However, unfortunately, it's not human nature. If it was, many of Haringey's problems would solve themselves.

Who doesn't know recycling is good? However, most people still don't recycle. I really can't figure out why they don't care.

In this case I firmly believe we need a carrot and a stick. Haringey council has been trying to get recycling off the ground for years and it's still pathetic. I used to live in San Francisco -- one of the first places in the world to have curbside recycling. The population there is a more willing audience, yet the city still offers incentives for recycling (the money the city makes recycling is distributed back to ratepayers) AND heavy penalties (fines) for not recycling.

HOWEVER taking away weekly rubbish pickup is not going to increase recycling, and will probably be more costly for the council in the long run when it results in more fly-tipping.

Haringey cabinet member, Nilgun Canver, says "You turn if you want to, but this lady's not for turning", or words to that effect.

Cllr Nilgun Canver believes that the government’s scheme would simply act as a sticking plaster until the money runs out. She has confirmed tha Haringey will press ahead with the planned changes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service