Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Sounds like things have gone wrong with the traffic at Sainsbury's again. Tweets today:

Sainsburys harringay
, anyone else had problems in  car park. We were stuck for 1hour. The Manager refused to do anything, too busy.
 discussing service at Harringay 2day! Vicky the Manager needs to be sacked. Will not be wasting my money with you anymore!
 the manager refused to help & threatened to sack the carpark guys if they left  carpark! Running feud with HBase

Anyone else affected?

Tags for Forum Posts: sainsbury's

Views: 2210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks almost as easy as opening a gate - http://g.co/maps/xrvky

That's the other entrance I refered to above; OK for cyclists except cars park right along the ridge (at the risk of getting scratched).

My guess is that local residents would be unhappy with motorists accessing from here.

Yes, this has come up before - my memory is that the road directly behind Arena (Finsbury Park Avenue - the one behind the bins in Ant's picture below) isn't an option - I think because it is is unadopted?? I may have made this up - but I do remember there being quite a good reason as to why it wasn't being pursued. Anyone else remember?

Please think of the children!  We really don't need standing traffic outside our houses on Hermitage, Eade and Vale Roads.  It already takes several changes of lights to get out of Hermitage Road onto Green Lanes because the phasing is set to let just 3 cars out at a time.  The lights are set that way to ensure Green Lanes flows quicker.  If the Sainsbury's crew were to be unleashed on us the traffic would be backed up for hours and we would never be able to leave. 

The roads were closed off some years ago to stop the endless procession of lorries and minicabs using our area as a cut through from Green Lanes to Seven Sisters.  At least once an hour a vast wagon edges between the houses right up to the road block, guided by some out of date sat nav.  The driver generally gets out, walks up to the road block then starts swearing before heading back into the cab to spend the next 30 mins doing a 40 point turn.  Any car parked within 10 foot of a corner is rewarded with a large dent. 

Opening up the roads behind Sainsbury's is not an option.

Sounds as though something went seriously wrong in the planning here. There's no way back, no way forward.

I'd never been down these roads so for morning exercise I went and had a look around.

- That gate at the back of the Sainsburys car park is wide enough and could easily be an exit.

- there is a sign on Finsbury Park Ave saying its private, but thats a ways down from the start of the road and only about 50 yards from that Sainsburys gate. So its really only a hundred yards or so of the road that would be used and perhaps it could be possible to buy/lease/? occasional use of just that small section of the road.

- then on Eade and Vale roads there are openable gates blocking access on to Seven Sisters Rd. A large amount of Eade Rd is pretty industrial and traffic isn't going to bother anyone.

It does seem like that if there are really no other alternatives then if those access points could be opened up for short periods when Green Lanes is gridlocked then that might make quite a big difference.

I can fully appreciate it would be far less than ideal for the residents on those stretches of the roads to have the additional traffic but if its only occasionally and with wardens ensuring its not used by big vehicles then i wonder if there is a balance to consider as its also less than ideal for the other residents of wider Harringay to have Green Lanes jammed up so you can't catch a bus anywhere and traffic spilling onto all the side roads off Green Lanes.

When the car parking problems started a few years ago the gate to the residential roads onto Hermitage, Vale and Eade was removed by irate customers. It simply spread the problem onto residential areas and did not speed up the traffic. Our roads became gridlocked with furious motorists hooting, swearing and filling the air with fumes.  This went on for quite a while and it once took me an hour to leave my own road.  While I appreciate it is unpleasant to get stuck in a shopping centre car park, at least people had the choice to go there and maybe some nice snacks to eat while waiting which they had purchased at Sainsbury's

The section of Eade road you refer to as being industrial is about 1/8 of the area in question, the rest being terraced houses.

Perhaps a solution is to reduce the number of parking spaces available and put a sign up at the entrance to the arena saying how many spaces there are and what the expected waiting time is so people can make an informed decision.

The only people who are inconvenienced by the delays in getting out of the Sainsbury's car park are the ones who choose to shop there. The solution, if you don't like the delays, is - don't go to Sainsbury's.

I'm no longer taken in by Satansbusy's "OFFERS" and the price gouging they sometimes engage in. Like the in-house flapjacks: keep the price the same, but almost halve the quantity! How many notice these kind of tricks?

But in praise of access to Sainsbury's: I've never experienced any traffic delays when I go on foot. Remember feet? And legs?!

Idling a car engine for half an hour can't cost nothing at current petrol prices, but some presumably there are still those who can afford to.

The only people who are inconvenienced by the delays in getting out of the Sainsbury's car park are the ones who choose to shop there.

Is that really the case though? All those cars have to go onto Green Lanes so its not just Sainsbury's drivers its anyone trying to use that part of Green Lanes. I can't be the only one who avoids catching a bus on Green Lanes on Sunday afternoons as I know its likely to take ages to get past there.

It would spill the traffic out (and in) through a residential area.  The situation is pretty bad at the moment but at least all the traffic goes on to Green Lanes and not past people's front doors.
What would happen in a fire?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service