Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

MANY contributors to HoL use Microsoft products and those individuals, as "End Users Licencees" are unlikely to have received a financial inducement to do so. (MS were believed to be paying commission of $10 to $15 to salesmen to shift their hard-to-shift mobile phones.)

But in the corporate world, its a different story. The Wall Street Journal suggests that in China, Italy and Romania, MS have paid bribes to shift their stuff and that Microsoft is under investigation.

Haringey Council is a pure Microsoft site and it appears to be wedded to a corporation that frequently flouts laws around the world. The local council show little inclination for example, to adopt Open Source software that could offer savings in the long run. Can MS sell to corporates on merits alone? Is the quality of their products sufficient to be bought solely on merit?

Our local council's IT department already exhibits complacency over its wasteful, inefficient implementation of PDFs. Is it not overdue for a shake up?

Tags for Forum Posts: IT, Microsoft, bribe, bribery, contracts, council, department, merits, quality

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

I used to work for DTI(BIS) and several other central government agencies as a support and solutions engineer. I had a converstion with several project managers before about introducing open source or alternative solutiions to our clients,namely ruby on rails or SUSE, but this this was shot down as soon as I brought in a solution with open source. My understanding, is if the company can make a lot of money from their clients from licences they will do it . unfortunately, in this country "ALL" of our senior civil servants dealing with IT contracts are short sighted. We need to copy France and Germany, their goverments use SUSE or other open source platforms. But I think its the way this country works. It does not invest in development anymore, if can get it cheaper or they think can can, they will do it. There needs to be more forward thinking, not just cut and paste in a platform, pay loads of money to a large corporate company who will milk the goverment for whats its worth and deliver a sub standard system. 

thats how the NHS's so called IT upgrade failed by the way, the suppliers were not developing anything, just cut and paste systems from elsewhere and prayed it worked.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service