Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted in a local shop window..

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 9653

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know the numbers, but couldn't the same be said of living Wightman ?
Without an open data base of members I always think of LW like the 'national viewers and listeners association'
They have a point but you've no idea of their mandate.
Surely this would set a precedent for everyone living on busy roads to demand the same thing?

Anyone living on Turnpike Lane, Westbury Ave or Green Lanes could demand the same rights.

There are certainly thousands of precedents already for busy residential streets to be protected from ratrunning.

There is a discussion of the difference between residential streets and A-roads on the LW FA...

Strange that B roads aren't mentioned there. St Anns Road, Endymion Road, Black Boy Lane, Hornsey Park Road, all fall into the 'residential' category.

There may be a technical distinction, but people still live on these roads. Do they not count? Westbury Avenue is made up almost completely of houses and flats.

Agree, Westbury Ave is another residential road that the council have used to bypass main roads. The junction it originates from sees a LOT of commercial traffic from quite early in the morning and most of it goes down Downhills Way/Belmont Rd. I think that given that all four options seem to close off access to Willougby Rd from West Green Rd some of this traffic will go down Westbury Ave. The problem is that they're getting off the North Circular heading west before it snarls up north of us, other parts of North London do not have a messy North Circular directly north of them.

You couldn't have summed it up better. How do I get the council to do something about this?

I would change the phasing on the lights at Lordship Lane/The Roundway, possibly even further up. The A406 and the M25 were built to keep this commercial traffic out of London but the A406 is essentially incomplete above us so it doesn't work properly and those lights just spew it out into residential streets. And also of course people found that it opened up new commuting opportunities. The trouble is that there are busses that go down there that feed a lot of people into Turnpike Lane station. Perhaps a busses only phase as they have at the top of Wightman/Turnpike Lane?

The right hand turn from Crouch End into Wightman Rd is a massive injector of traffic onto the ladder. The fact that the phase is so long, completely out of keeping with other right hand turns around us (Green Lanes/Seven Sisters? Green Lanes/St Ann's? Green Lanes/Turnpike Lane?) tells you all you need to know about the Wightman Road traffic problem.

Living on Lausanne Road and having to deal with the nightmare of Wightman road being closed last year was hell.  Just dropping my child off to nursery and picking her up added 10 - 20 minutes to our standard journey which usually takes 5 mins.

In the weekends it was even worse.  Coming from Crouch End, the traffic would back all the way up Church Lane and Hornsey High Street and on one particular day took an hour to get home (when it should take 5 mins).  With two unsettled very young children in the car it was far from ideal.

It may suit some of you that don't own vehicles or do not drive at peak times, however for those of us that do it's not a viable solution to close it.

Your two children will have much smaller lungs than children that grow up in the countryside because of the pollution caused by cars. You're actually part of the problem if you're doing a school run like that because Wightman is providing a convenient short cut.

Tell me how you would manage this then, try carrying a 10kg pram with a 8kg child in it up the stairs of Hornsey station and back down the other whilst trying to also manage to get my 2 year old up and down the stairs as well?

Don't even think about suggesting that I walk all the way around onto Hornsey High Street and then to Crouch End.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service