Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted in a local shop window..

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 9646

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which means me and others on the levels.
BTW I wasn't aware you had a massive bin lorry problem, do you get them more than once a week then?

6:30 again this morning and again at 7:10 or so. There's been a massive HGV problem with not just council lorries but they seem to be the ones I can do nothing about. Here is a link to all the discussions over the years tagged HGV.

How would it be if you could restrict lorries, hgv's, and large vans (sort of Ocado/Tesco deliveries) as a minimum?
And on the map Endymion gets no extra traffic , so that's positive.

Last summer when I was cycling down Wightman towards Finsbury Park I was quite surprised that Endymion Rd seemed so clear. It's not this summer, tailbacks at the roundabout etc. In the evenings it was a bit rammed, As was Upper Tollington. If the traffic is not fed there, and Wightman feeds Endymion in the mornings, then it has to go somewhere else or decide to get the bus.

I cycle on Endymion every morning around 8.30am and every evening around 6.15pm and it is pretty much always really clear - it is unusual to have any built up of traffic.

In which case, you will no doubt have noticed the difference from last year, during the Wightman closure, when Endymion was one of the worst-affected roads: a solid jam of traffic, including W5 buses, at almost all times, from Green Lanes to the Oakfield junction and often beyond, meaning that nobody (perhaps other than cyclists) could get anywhere most of the time. This displacement is exactly what the Stroud Green-ers were also complaining about on their website and helps show why Wightman closure just shifts the problem instead of solving it.

Ok, how have others, including the Stroud Greenera and Crouch Enders been "solving" their traffic problems? Why by getting the council to discourage rat running on residential streets. If you're saying that this just shifts the problem elsewhere then I absolutely agree with you, the ladder is surrounded by closures that have pushed traffic into its residential streets. More of the same as we gradually solve the problem CPZ style?

Don - actually no - there was surprisingly little traffic on Endymion last summer either in the morning or evening - it certainly wasn't bumper to bumper - occasionally yes, but occasionally it is now too so not convinced WIghtman's closure made a lot of difference.

I'm with Karen on this, I expected lots of morning traffic on Endymion last year during the closure and was surprised to find that there was none. The tiny little roundabout is also a good way of injecting traffic onto Wightman given the space they have for the intersection. The closure of it was also much more obvious than on the rung roads so I think people rerouted via those A roads that we keep hearing about in Crouch End.

It's based on a high level data model, which assumes the amount of traffic is fixed, assumes there are no mitigation measures in place, and actually doesn't seem to have been reconciled with what actually happened during the bridgeworks - Green Lanes itself is flagged as a "significant increase" in traffic flow but actually decreased by 2% by the Arena.

The actual displacement patterns will need investigating in much more detail. I had a look at Tottenham Lane for example, traffic increased in the morning but actually decreased in the afternoon:

Surely ferme park is the evaporation you guys talk about.
Left right out of Hornsey park onto Tottenham lane then left onto ferme park and stapleton.
Ferme park is residential too (not even a B road I believe) so that will need measures to close it as well I guess.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service