Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Spotted in a local shop window..

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 9648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you said that the wightman road closure "will be detrimental' to other local residents. there are other road closures in the area which have impacted on other local areas. do you support those closures?

Personally, I don't.
I think all roads/areas should be open.
But I'd be interested to know what the "Mitigating measures" are that LW propose for the areas/roads that will be blighted by the Wightman closure.
LW must remember that they only have 350k to spend to cover Crouch end, Stapleton hall, Mayes road area, Belmont , the levels out to blackboy (at least) st Anne's (which isn't an A road) as well as the Wightman closure.
I've yet to have a response ( I have asked before)
And I'm still mystified as to why LW keep dragging the ladder roads into the mix. All of them ( I believe) take less traffic than woodlands park and blackboy. The problem is with Wightman not other roads.
As I've constantly said ---- width restrictions -- would go along way to solving the problem. It would certainly keep large and articulated lorries out and slow traffic so that Wightman isn't a convenient quick route though.
So come on LW what's yer plan?. Or do you see the 350k as yours??

And I'm still mystified as to why LW keep dragging the ladder roads into the mix.. . . . The problem is with Wightman not other roads.

Now first things first, Andy. Shouldn't  the adjective 'other' appear in both those sentences?  (Hint: 'ladder')

Your absolutely right OAE.
I put it down to my piss poor education.

Why should the word "other" appear in both those sentences? Okay, Wightman is part of the ladder-type structure that gives the area its name but no-one thinks of Green Lanes as part of Harringay Ladder. Ergo if you live on Wightman Road you don't live on the ladder.

"why LW keep dragging the ladder roads into the mix"

As was discussed here the vast majority of traffic follows a rat-run which includes a part of Wightman plus a rung. Hence the excessive traffic on many rungs, and the horrendous traffic on Wightman itself, are inextricably linked.

Width restrictions would cut down 1000 HGVs per day but not impact 1000+ cars per hour.

As for funding - as I've said before simply changing the Ladder road layout would be relatively inexpensive, certainly in terms of ROI for the benefits it brings. I don't have any experience of how funding works but I think the council puts up some, applies to TfL for some (Enfield, Walthamstow and Kingston all got £20-30m for their "mini-Hollands I think), does a deal with housing developers for other improvements.

And your mitigating measures???

1000 HGVs a day ?

Wightman Road is no-go for vehicles greater than 7.5 tonnes ( except for access ).

Why does the Council let them get away with it ?

John D - "1000 HGVs a day" - that's correct, plus over 1000 cars per hour all day (actually over 1200 cars per hour in the afternoon) here is the data for 6th Jan 2016 (with St Anns as a comparison):

"What are the council doing about it" - they are at least giving us an opportunity to say what kind of streets we would prefer to live in. If we don't tell them Filtering Wightman is our preferred option I'm afraid they will assume we're happy with heavy traffic.

I refuse to believe that 1000 HGV's use Wightman per day. I certainly wouldn't choose to take a 40' trailer down there.

I do believe however, that the observers couldn't tell the difference between vehicles for the purpose of classification. 

Eyespy - it's incredible isn't it? That a narrow street which for the majority of it's length is purely residential in character is expected to carry over 1000 HGVs per day (plus 1000-1200 cars per day)?

To be fair the Class 4 vehicle counts are less at the weekends - less than 400 on as Sunday:

The counts are not subject to human classification error by the way - they are based on electronic "road tubes" which counts the axles and measure the air pressure when the vehicle passes.

Ah the road tubes, not know for their accuracy in classifying vehicles due to the method of relying on axle spacing.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uh25BQAAQBAJ&pg=PA104&l...

ANPR would have been a better option as it would have given access to the full vehicle information to properly classify. Hammersmith and Fulham use this method for their traffic studies.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service