Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

© Google Inc

Nothing seems to stand still for long on Harringay's high street these days. A couple of days back Liz reported the demise of the Deniz 1 off-licence. As I went by today I saw a couple of guys chatting in the store and stuck my nose in to see what I could find out.

I met Emre Kubilay from the Penguin Music School just opposite the Allison Road church. Emre is a london based film music composer who is also a musician. He told me that 461 Green Lanes is to become a music instument shop-cum-cafe with live music. He strssed that for the cafe side of things his focus would be on really good coffee.

Sounds good to me!

Views: 2870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've had a quick look Ben on the register of listed building and the local register on the Haringey website and couldn't see anything for it either under Green Lanes or Grand Parade. As it's the last intact Victorian shopfront on the Lanes I think that this is one to watch like a hawk.
.....so I wrote to the portfolio holder for planning, Cllr Demirci, a minute ago. See below

Dear Cllr Demirci,

Disney's, which has operated from Harringay Green Lanes for over 100 years, is closing down and I assume that the commercial premises either has been or will shortly be put up for sale.

The frontage of Disney's is the last intact non-licensed Victorian commercial premises in Green Lanes, and a rarity in the borough. I have checked on Haringey's register of listed buildings and it does not seem to have listed building status or to be listed as a building of local interest.

I would be very concerned if any future owner or lessee of the premises were to alter the magnificent shop front. Could I ask if you could contact the appropriate director to find out what could be put in place to prevent this happening.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you

Michael Anderson
this definitely might need a campaign ......

By coincidence, Pav, I've just passed by and grabbed a couple of phone snaps of how the interior is shaping up.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service