Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've heard some shocking stories of people having to flee for their lives, just grabbing their kids and running out in their nightclothes taking nothing. Does anyone know what is being done for these poor people, or if a fund has been set up to help them?

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was there this evening the list of high need I was given was:

• Babies' clothes & nappies
  • New adult & kids underwear
  • Bottled water
  • Non perishable foods
But they still also need everything that families left with nothing might need.

Thanks for that, Hugh, we'll concentrate on that best we can. 

We will be gathering a load of stuff from different friends to bring.

I will ask again what's needed Monday, as I reckon help will be needed for awhile yet - and even housewares (dishes, silverware, etc) would be helpful for many, I guess?

This morning, staff said they had been "overwhelmed" with sorting volunteers. All comers are welcome to put names and contact numbers down to be called in when needed. In terms of stuff, they want nappies, babies' things, non-perishable food stuffs.

You're bloody troopers, folks. Keep it coming.

Thanks Hugh, will try to drop some water off tomorrow.
Oh and thanks Maddy for starting this
Andy
Just got back from TGLC. To reiterate what some have already pointed out, they said they still particularly need toiletries and also household items, sort of 'under sink' things - cleaning fluids, cloths etc. The woman I spoke to basically said to imagine setting up a home from scratch.

Thanks William - have just tweeted that.

As things stand my tweet last night about babies' clothes etc has about 50 retweets. Multiply that by the thousands of followers of those retweeters and I begin to get nervous about nappy mountains.

Have you seen the price of nappies? That was a revelation to me.

I suspect that soon there will be enough clothes except eg underwear. I'll go up again today and update.

Babies get through a lot of nappies, especially little ones.

I also suspect that other charities like CARIS will be able to find homes for the mountains, if need be.

I'm going to get a taxi over there at about 1.30ish due to having some heavier items to take over, so if anyone is in the vicinity of Seymour Road and want me to take anything over for them then give me a shout and I'll give you my address.

Donations have been coming in thick and fast here, so thank you for spreading the word. We took a van load up yesterday and have another one ready to go this morning.

Thank you for also advising on what items are required - I have tweeted this.

We are accepting donations today at our Crouch End store until we close 11.30pm and also at our Belsize Park branch until that closes at 11pm.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service