Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Beware everybody ! 

I was dressing up in my front bedroom this morning, (9 o'clock)  (the window slightly opened) when I heard a ladder being set against my house. Thinking that it was our window-cleaners, I was incensed that they should not have knocked at our door first and called my husband. He went to inquire but there was nothing at all in the street. All gone. So, there  are people driving down the ladders road, discreetly observing and ready to pounce, well equipped, at the first opportunity. The whole thing did not take more than 3/4 mns.

They disappear only because they heard me calling my husband. 

It is not the first time that we have observed old vans going down our street, like snails, and "taking" everything in. As for our bins, they are also attractive to some people. So beware everybody.

Views: 2909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neil, if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find there are extensive protocols and conditions attached to people's use of the site. You can find them here if you wish to read them. This is an un moderated site which means that admin only respond to problems when they are flagged up. This is usually done via the private message system. 

"Moderation" is then done by measuring whether or not it breaks house rules and if a post is removed, a message is left explaining just which rule it breaks. The person in question will also be messaged and ultimately suspended if they continue to flout the rules. 

The point is that all of your suggestions are already covered by our existing policies. We don't like to intervene too much as that inhibits the flow of conversation and we have found that most conversations reach consensus and a natural end without too heavy a hand but we also have the option of closing threads if they become fractious or descend into pointless bickering. 

On the subject of 'racism' that you raise, this is clearly a difficult one to call. Sticking to simple description is probably safest because what makes people uncomfortable is the association of people with crime and the possible prejudice this may serve to fuel. However, if people are unhappy about a response to one of their posts because they feel they are being mis-represented they should report via the send a message system  or email. I have yet to see anyone called a 'Nazi'. If they have been please indicate where and it will be removed. As you can appreciate, site admin are volunteers with day jobs and family lives and don't have time to read the entire site now it is so large and used by so many people. We now rely very much on people to support us and each other with issues around the suitability of posts and the behaviour of members in the forums.

p.s. I wonder if your final paragraph referring to the PC brigade and sensitive souls and suggesting they 'shut up' does in fact conform to our house rules on Style item 1 number i Please present opinions and positions in a tactful and moderate fashion.

See House Rule 2a

Whilst Harringay Online is not pre-moderated, we will use our discretion to edit or delete content where it is brought to our attention that it is known to be untrue or is misleading.

So to repeat my earlier request, which post called you a Nazi? Can you link to it please, privately if you wish, so we can remove it,.

Just press the message button. No need to 'connect' first. 

Thank you

Let's not get all politically correct and petty on this site again - the police seemed to have no problem with the the term. This is exactly why I am generally reluctant to post on this site. Obviously, I am not suggesting people from this area of the world are criminals, I was only trying to describe their appearance (indeed I probably fit into the category myself!). The point is people are targetting our area for theft and we should all be vigilent - if saying something on this forum gets even one person more vigilent and prevents a crime I personally think that is a good thing. The woman was about 5.5 black hair tied high in along straight pony tail, knee high dark boots, mid 20's dark eyes. Slim. Man was a little shorter, curly dark hair, slim mid 20's.

Thanks for the description!  It's much more helpful to me that "eastern European".  Maybe it's just because where I come from, virtually everybody and their brother is a mixed melting pot mutt.

Unless you're Inuit or Vietnamese

The 'political correctness gone mad' stuff is actually every bit as distracting as the PC stuff.  Most of the Eastern Europeans I know are tall blondes, so that's what I was picturing from that description, and i would have been completely wrong. We all have our own stereotypical images of things in our heads, but they might not always correspond.  When it comes to something like descriptions maybe tall/short/fair /dark/black/white are more useful because they are less subjective.  Not PC, just sensible.

I saw a young couple matching your description in Falkland Road earlier this evening. They were looking in front yards but weren't acting suspiciously imo - just looking for dumped items I think.

I too like to sleep with my window open and last year I was woken at 4am by a scrabbling sound on the window ledge. I must point out here that I have a chain screwed into the frame so that the window can't be opened more than a couple of inches and also some garden trellis screwed across the whole window. (It works for garden fences ie, noisy snapping and sharp, so why not windows?) Then, over my headboard and through the curtains, a hand appeared with a torch which was shone around the room. The intruder couldn't see me because of the big headboard that I have. I did call the police whilst I watched them, one on lookout in the street, on my CCTV in another room. Of course they were gone by the time the police got there. 

But what annoyed me most was the police explanation that these men were probably only looking for somewhere to sleep!

To this day I regret not slamming the window shut while the fingers were there.

No don't be silly. Burglars are hard working and not at all judgmental. They prefer to methodically go through every house on the street without discriminating against anyone on the basis of overt ostentatiousness.

Oh I don't know John, I think burglars can be every bit as stereotypical in their thinking as anyone else.

For example, SNT did a check on my house and told me that the large number of books visible would suggest to a burglar that I was likely to have the means to have more expensive items in the house. Another knocked on my door once when we had student neighbours because the curtains were open and lights on in their house displaying their attractive nickable property (they knocked on my door as the neighbours hadn't answered). It seems burglars like to identify where students live because these days that means lots and lots of portable, electronic gadgets and possibly a not wholly sensible attitude to home security. 

A daytime tv programme I once watched however suggested that ease of entry and exit are what burglars like best, so an open window, a door on just a yale lock or an easily breakable back door are what they like best (this was the opinion of an ex-burglar). There's always something you can steal once in a house even if its just that day's post so you can open mobile phone accounts with the contents (this happened to me).

I was being silly... They definitely scope out the wealthy streets and houses. How typical of a policeman to think that having books is an indicator of wealth though. Come on guys, even the burglars don't think that. It betrays an attitude of "That's the last thing I'd spend my money on" which is just wrong. If you have "some" books you're OK, but if you have "a lot" you have a problem and probably can't walk past a bookshop without going in. You're unlikely to have money to spend on other things like haircuts, nice clothes, holidays at the beach. I hope you told them this Liz but I'm afraid you're too polite.

If I was a burglar I'd look for a nice enough house with a possibly temporary security problem and no dog. I'd probably be quite frightened of a front door that was wide open though.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service