Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Bulky household items collected for free - so why dump stuff in the street!

On walking up to Harringay Station this morning I was greeted with the delightful sight of two mattresses, a chest of drawers, a divan base and various bags of rubbish dumped on the pavement on Wightman Road.  I have called Veolia and the good news is that it will be collected as soon as possible. 

I suspect that this type of dumping is because people think it will cost them money to get rid of.  Not the case - Haringey Council will collect bulky household items for free - here are the details on the website.

What we collect for free

A number of bulky household items can be collected for free, provided they are reusable or recyclable.

When you call to book a collection, you will be asked some questions to help establish whether the items you need to dispose of can be collected for free. As a guide, the following types of items may be able to be collected for free:

• Fridges
  • Freezers
  • Washing machines
  • Dishwashers
  • Tumble driers
  • Ovens and cookers
  • Gas cylinders (empty)
  • Car batteries
  • Car tyres
  • Computers/PCs
  • Computer monitors
  • TVs
  • Wardrobes
  • Bed frames
  • Bedside cabinets
  • Bookcases
  • Upholstered furniture
  • Chairs
  • Tables
  • Doors
  • Mattresses

For more information and to book a collection, please contact the Veolia Haringey Contact Centre:

Tel: 020 8885 7700 Email: enquiries.haringey@veolia.co.uk

Views: 3971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could they also be coming in from neighbouring boroughs?

Yes, its possible.  Hackney and Islington provide free bulky waste collections but Enfield charge and so do Camden unless it can be reused/recycled - bulky waste for disposal carries a charge too.

I was chatting to a resident over the weekend who wasn't awre that Haringey now collect bulky waste for free (I think previously there was a charge) so it all about getting the word out to people.

In Holland people leave out their unwanted furniture on Thursdays. It gives people a chance to take items that they might need. Then the local authorities pick it up later in the day.

Mind you I am sure nobody would like to collect some of the rubbish that is left our streets.

I like this idea. I occasionally leave things I don't want, but which are in too good condition to throw out, on my garden wall. They always disappear within an hour or two.

Are you sure about the mattresses? Last time I looked they were excluded.

It's the most-dumped item round here, I guess because of fast turnover in BTLs. In my day you just slept on the mattress that was there, things have got too cheap since globalisation. 

This came up recently on this thread. The answer is a very firm yes to the mattresses.

I said something similar about the constant turnover of mattresses to someone the other day. "It's the bedbugs' he replied, "they're rife" *shudder* 

Yes bedbugs are a good reason I (he) recons why we are seeing so many matresses but its one of those items we have always had to deal with (as Community Volunteer Wardens) - What came up in a recent meeting I was in was that its free for householders but not for letting agents / buisnesses they have to still pay. So the question is who is dumping the items, is it householders or the builders who are carrying out works onbehalf of the agents? ( I suspect both). Being on top of reporting dumps in the street and acting quickly like Karen did - actually reduces more dumps as Liz knows - the longer its left the more chance someone else will dump on top of it ? As crap attracts crap?

The GRA are promoting the "Newly Re -introduced Free Bulky Item Service" in our GRA Spring Newsletter which will be going through everydoor in the "Gardens" within the next week or so. The GRA have been requesting for the reintroduction of the Free Service since its removal and charging residents / householders this started around 2000 / 2001 ish?.

By the way I saw a sofa being carried down my street 2 days ago by some students- it had been sat in a Stanhope Gardens front Garden for 2-3 months - no cushions - recycling in action - but I bet I will see it outide someone elses house within a few days time?

Andy GRA

Text from GRA Spring Newsletter below
------------------------------------------------------------
"FREE COLLECTION of your bulky items.
The GRA have been campaigning for many
years for the re-introduction of the "Free Bulky
Items Scheme".

Haringey Councils Waste contractor Veolia have
reintroduced the scheme again to provide a free
household bulky waste collection for items that are
reusable or recyclable. This includes the collection
of mattresses, sofa's, wardrobes, TV's and all white
goods too. Further details and a list of the items
that can be collected are on the Haringey Council
website. You will need to contact the council and
arrange the collection from your house or flat.

You can arrange a collection by contacting the
Veolia Contact Centre on 020 8885 7700
or email: enquiries.haringey@veolia.co.uk.
With this free service we hope it will stop
unnecessary fly tipping in front gardens and the
"Gardens" streets.
-------------------------------------------------------------

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service