Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Was 'upgraded' 2 weeks ago to sooper dooper Infinity tho I was quite happy with what I'd got. Since then, nothing but problems. Progress? I dont think so.

It's unstable and the BT WiFi Zone keeps taking over my internet so I cant access my own accounts. I have to keep switching off my computer.

On Friday the whole thing went down for hours. It's causing me stress and loss of time as need constant reliable internet for working at home. Anyone else experiencing problems? 

Views: 1329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you are registered to participate in FON, you'll see 3 wireless networks in your home - one will be called BTHub3-XXXX and the other two will appear as BTOpenzone-H (for a domestic Infinity connection) and BTWiFi. If you are not registered for FON, then you'll see only the first one (the XXXX in the name will vary from customer to customer and is 4 alphabetic letters or numerals unless you have deliberately changed this to something else).

Either way, it is the first one you should be setting up your wireless connection for - the other two are optional.

If you still can't get wireless networking to work, why not try a wired connection? The BT Hub3 supports up to 4 wired Ethernet connections and these will always be much faster, more secure and more reliable  than any wireless connection.

Thanks to everyone with advice. 

I am noo sorted out - hopefully! I have deleted BFFon, BTWIfi plus my old home hub connection which was still there. Poor laptap wifi was confused and in demand by all these others. I am not that au fait with these things but finally, I got what it was and fixed so maybe now I'll become a big fan of infinity? Good luck everyone.

Andy

I have wondered about getting an ethernet connection.  I was advised to get a Solwise 

NET-PL-200AV-MINI

Is that what you were talking about? How does it work?  My computer is not near my router.  But I don't think you plug it into your router.

I meant an Ethernet cable which has 8 wires inside and a American telephone-style RJ45 plug at each end. You can buy them in various colours and lengths up to 100 metres from Maplin or (much cheaper) on eBay and simply use this to connect your router to your computer/laptop directly.

Alternatively, the Solwise device allows you to use your household mains wiring to carry the Ethernet signal instead of using a long lead - you'll need a pair, one at the router end and one near your computer. You'll still need two short Ethernet leads (supplied with the Solwise) to connect them to your router and computer. They do work and are fast enough for most domestic purposes and save you having to have long trailing leads or a having fixed Ethernet network installed in your house. 

Hi Kamila

The general name for this Solwise device is Powerline adapters and you can buy them in many different configurations.

When you buy your two Solwise adapters, one of them will be connected by a short Ethernet cable to your router and plug into the closest electric socket. The second adapter you can take wherever you want and where is the most convenient for you and plug into the empty electric socket. This plug will be the source of the internet, in the most convenient position in the house. As Andy explained, now you take the second Ethernet cable and plug into your second Solwise adapter. Your cable now is the second source of the internet around the house next to your router.

All the time we talk about Powerline adapters and for most houses and flats this is the best solution in case of the Internet reception issues.

Excellent advice, guys.  Thank you.   HoL is a great source of advice and information!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service