Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just to mention the passing of lifelong CND campaigner, priest and Harringay local Bruce Kent.

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my few claims to fame is cooking a meal for him in about 1970.  A then boyfriend had let him at LSE (not sure what BK was doing there?) and invited him to dinner, in a very small single room, painted black and purple, over a boxing gym in Shadwell.  Few Catholic priests would have come to Shadwell then, let alone been gracious.

Ruth.........a stab in the dark but might you have had relatives (Valentines) living in Harringay Road in the 1950s/60s by any chance ?   We lived at 40a and our neighbours at 38 were Valentine.

Bruce Kent was also remembered on 'Last Word' today, the BBC Radio 4 programme - link.

Listen at 15 minutes into the programme. 

I am late to this discussion, but I read about Bruce's death in The Week and feel privileged to have met him. I knocked on his door last winter and he graciously invited me in for a glass of sherry. He would also write me little notes of encouragement as fellow clergy.

I've since found out that would address the crowd at Glastonbury on peace issues. 

Another obituary here: https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2022/17-june/gazette/obituar....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service