Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Out working yesterday, I snapped a picture of the front of the Salisbury with the new bollards.

There was a some Twitter chat recently about these and the ones at the end of Burgoyne. There seems to be a split opinion.

If you've seen them, it's probably quite apparent that they're designed to echo various architectural elements of the grand old dame beneath whom they shelter. When I first saw them, they brought to mind the chess pieces in the foyer of the St Martin's Hotel (or is that wishful thinking?).

Likee? No Likee? 

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay regeneration 2012-13

Views: 1552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's true :-)

I do agree with you about the safety (or lack thereof, rather) for cyclists at that junction, by the way!

He doesn't care about safety - he's not wearing a helmet

Or went down Salisbury Road like all the other traffic turning left...

Yes but that's not safe for people coming from the western end of St Ann's Road. That was my point.

Great photo btw, Hugh.

I like them - they add interest and break up the otherwise endless pavement. But they would work better at different heights to make it slightly more obvious they are meant to be Art. At present it's not clear if they have a purpose or what that is. Maybe that's the point.

great photo Hugh- do you know I hadnt even noticed the change- prob havent been that far down the road for a while- will look tom

as fr as the new cycle racks- well i guess at least hey have them but I am worried about the edges scratching my bike frame- unlike the normal curved ones

But then maybe a little bit of wear and tear means less likely to be nicked

Any idea what the odd rather large block of pale granite is meant to be next to the crossing ? I'm hoping it's a lump from which a thing of greater beauty will emerge but rather fear I will be disappointed.
I was wondering as well.... is it finished? Is it art? Or is it just a pile of granite? (And one of the bollards is still backwards :-D)

I asked a Haringey employee I saw when I was passing. He said it was for seating.

It's a new piece by Anthony Gormley. The 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th plinths. People can do anything they like on one of these plinths but they have to stay balanced there for sixty minutes.

Haringey People and Dave Freeview will be following the event.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service