Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Despite consultation results that have rejected the proposal, the Council are proceeding with the road renaming. Today, they issued the following statement.

A legal order issued on 7 December will set the renaming process in motion after Haringey Council’s Corporate Committee voted to change the name of Black Boy Lane to La Rose Lane. The name change will happen officially on 23 January 2023.

It doesn't do much for one's faith in the due process of the council. If they were going to do it anyway, why tease the local population with a meaningless consultation?

The item came to committee on 15 Sept, but the above statement has only just been issued. The relevant part of the agenda reports pack is attached below. The previous reports pack from 2021 is available via this HoL post

Tags for Forum Posts: blackboy lane name change

Views: 3061

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

will be interested to see if the carefully crafted Black Boy Lane name plates - one at top of road, some on a few of the houses,survive - at the moment there si no name on display at either top or bottom of the road...

As the borough of Haringey and its residence face austerity and a cost of living crisis on an unprecedented scale how on earth can this Labour run council justify squandering hundreds of thousands of pounds renaming a road. . . and all for what? Who gains out of this and how? It will always be Blackboy Lane whilst in living memory!

As for the consultation: I think it probably read:- "We will rename the road after assessing the final results of the consultation"!!

Sorry, but time for a change of council?

Agree totally. Time for a change of political leadership in Haringey, but the voters will just keep on blindly voting Labour every time. It doesn't help that we have had a Conservative govt for years that are hopeless, ineffectual & not fit for purpose. Lame Duck politicians no matter what colour they may be. No matter who you vote for the govt always wins, be it local or national. 

Perhaps it's time for a coordinated campaign for independent Haringey councillors, which campaigns on local issues (unlike what we faced at the last local election in the area) and which demonstrates how the current representatives arrogantly pursue ideologies in the face of local people's interests.

Despite the true historical facts which led to the original name, I don't understand why our Haringey councillors - and Lib Dems are as much to blame as Labour - persisted in suggestions it had a racist basis. This street name could have been used to celebrate young black males, who are met with punishing discrimination all too frequently. If anything, the renaming seems to treat young black males as people that should be hidden and ashamed of. That's not progress. That's a truly awful outcome.

Brian, I couldn't agree more. Well said!

While I don't think the renaming is necessary, I do like the name La Rose Lane a lot better than Black Boy Lane.

Why?

Well, where Wightman Road starts used to be Upper Hollom Beech Field, then it runs through where Pond Field was. So we could have Upper Hollom Avenue or Pondfield Road. There again, just opposite, on the other side of Turnpike Lane was Great Cocks Field (yes, really), which was also part of the Harringay House estate. So, what about Great Cocks Way

When can I sign the petition for that?

The result of the public consultation on changing the name of Albert Road recreation ground N22 was hardly decisive:

https://www.minutes.haringey.gov.uk/documents/s122510/Albert%20Rec%...

yet the Council decided to change it anyway (in an attempt to be woke?) thereby causing senseless changes, causing confusion and destroying our local heritage.

£500,000? £300,000? A timely and wise use of public money?

Consultation? Sure. Twice. And both times residents said "No thanks". It now appears that the consultations with neighbourhood residents were a pretence. How much did that waste? It seems the consultations were in bad faith at least by whoever the individual councillor was who made the final decision. They knew they'd ignore a negative resident vote. In which case let the person  be honest and take responsibility.

During the height of the Covid-19 Pandemic I made a silly joke on HoL about how how lucky it was there were no other grave competing calls on the Council's limited and shrinking funds. Right now Covid is not yet done with us. And many new crises are crowding in. Even the right-wing media are having to carry news items such as the NHS crisis. Including radio news reports just this morning about nurses using food banks.
Other news reports across the U.K. describe people terrified when their so-called "smart" meters show the immediate cost of turning on a heater or stove.

What a time to choose to splurge this cash on a street sign!!

I realise the process may have been set in motion by former Council Leader Joe Ejiofor. But he was not the politician making the final decision this time. So who was? Plainly someone who has never heard of the maxim "All Politics are local". (Tip O'Neill).
And hadn't noticed how many people measured Boris Johnson's Downing Street Parties against  their own personal experiences: for example not being able to visit their dying relations in a care home or hospital.

The consultation about the renaming of (probably) Charles ll Lane was foisted on local people at the height of the Pandemic. That grossly poor judgement has now been compounded.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service