Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This in from the Ladder's 'Safety Partnership'

It has now been clarified that Haringey Council policy is that emptied bins should be left ‘an arm’s length from the gate’. 

This does create some security problems as bins left just by the gate all day long may well be an indication that the resident is not in, particularly if they go on to be left for more than one day. 

The LCSP therefore asks that all our members should pass on this information to friends and neighbours, and perhaps set up a friendly mutual help scheme to replace bins whenever they are left blocking a gate/pathway.

Tags for Forum Posts: bins, veolia

Views: 1337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The anarchist, Colin Ward often quoted the old proverb: "Only the wearer knows where the shoe pinches".

All three of your Harringay ward councillors live in your ward, Charlotte. As does Cllr Nilgun Canver who is the so-called "cabinet" councillor whose responsibilities include bins and sweeping.  So they may well be equally affected. To be fair, it's likely they have read this thread. But just in case, I suggest you email all four of them with your sensible suggestion.

In alphabetical order:

gina.adamou@haringey.gov.uk

karen.alexander2@haringey.gov.uk

nilgun.canver@haringey.gov.uk

david.schmitz@haringey.gov.uk

Maybe they have changed it - I woke up on Saturday at 7AM by the sound of the street sweepers on Lausanne Road so they are now doing it half way between collection days.  This is slightly better, but it would still make sense to do it after they have done the collection.  That said it is not only the collection which makes a mess.  It continues to amaze me how much people litter especially since every house now has giant bins in their front gardens.  I caught a local roofing/scaffolding company empty their ashtray out of the lorry window right in front of our house.  Outraged I made a formal complaint to the company who agreed it was out of order and they said they would discipline.

They shouldn't have been smoking in a company vehicle anyway.

I know.  I did point that out, but to be honest if the people in the lorry are happy about it which I assume they are given the number of fag butts then that is their problem.  As an ex-smoker I think the law is quite big brother-ish on smoking and not on drinking, but that is a different discussion entirely.  Emptying your ashtray in the street is out of order, and illegal.   

officers had looked into it and advised her that it was all terribly difficult, complex, intricate, easier said than done, and impossible to arrange.

It wasn't of course. And was later put into effect.

Reminds me of the obstacles put in the way of creating disabled access at our local library. When the council was aiming to close Stroud Green library, this alleged "difficulty" was cited as one of the justifications. Of course, the solution was always clear: knock in a side door on the uphill side of the lobby and create a level access.

It was implemented at the last moment at unnecessarily large expense, I think, on the weekend before an Act of Parliament about disabled access came into force . The council actually made a good job of the all-along obvious solution but it could have been handled much better.

Stroud Green & Harringey Public Library is the oldest, smallest and best in our Borough.

Haringey always does the right thing ... after exhausting every alternative!

--

In respect of the bins (and street sweeping) can I suggest that the problem of litter on pavements will not be reduced unless there is some action on enforcement of laws on dropping litter?

When a car owner overstays in a CPZ, they are hit with a big and disproportionate fine, even though their evil, wicked conduct  hasn't caused any extra cost to the council or to the community.

However, when the careless and thoughtless drop litter, they are never prosecuted, even though their actions, collectively, do cause extra cost to the council. I wonder why this might be?

Once again, Clive, let me try to save you time. As you know there's a joke about prisoners who’ve heard each other’s tired old stories so many times before, they just call out a number.
So I’ve renumbered your current obsessions. When you want to drag one of them into an unrelated thread, just give the number.

(1) Ally Pally;  (2) Cllr Charles Adje;  (3) Haringey People magazine;  (4) Stroud Green Library;  (5) Salaries of senior council officers

Yes, very funny Alan: I've forgotten how many times you've mentioned the joke about the prisoner's joke-shorthand!

Some small corrections to your helpful list:

• Many months ago, Stroud Green Library was renamed Stroud Green and Harringay (Hugh may chastise you privately). If you visit SG&H library, your councillor heart will swell with pride!
  • You've left off prosecution of litterbugs, possibly inadvertently (flog 'em, I say).
  • The omission of The Beast of Redmond is more suspicious. Are you trying to avoid drawing attention to that company's criminal conviction for monopoly abuse? Let's bring Open Source software to the council to help save money!
  • The need to prioritise council spending. This means according different priorities to things. Not all council spending is good. This may shock you, but some of it is actually wasted!

Oh, you guys.

*munches popcorn*

Great, Clive. You're getting into the swing. Save time; save bytes; save the planet.  Though what happened to the Oakfield Road bridge? And bottled water?

But remember, whatever zany obsession is top of your list today, if you want laughter and applause, it's still how you tell 'em!

17!!

I had noticed this new policy as I now have to dismount my bike in order to move my wretched bin out of the way before I can park my bike in the front garden....Tis a right royal pain....

This is ridiculous.  Round me neighbours who are in during the day are elderly or ill and should not be hauling heavy bins about - a job that we pay fit bin personages to do.  Bins left out on the pavement aren't just a security risk - they're also a hazard.  I've seen people with pushchairs and wheelchairs having to walk in the road because the pavements are blocked with bins & give that on our road there's cars parked all the way up, that means properly IN the road

Betty, if you can, please take photos and post them on FixMyStreet.com. And let everyone know.

The Council's Environment Scrutiny Panel saw examples of this problem last November. We were quite clearly told it was not acceptable. The Panel was cross-party and non-party. Here are Stuart McNamara - who chaired - and Karen Alexander. Other panel members there: Pauline Gibson, Lyn Weber, Jonathan Bloch and me. On that day, George Meehan met the panel in his ward; and Rachel Allison in hers.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service