Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

THE newly stated policy to clamp down on Fixed Odds Betting Terminals, by the Labour Leader, is welcome. But given his party's links to bet365, how credible is it?

Daily Mail article

Tags for Forum Posts: Bet365, Coates, FoBT, Hunt, Labour, Milliband, donation, £400000

Views: 2042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Billy. What seems to be happening is that as politicians abuse their power, so it is taken away from them.  As they cannot get more than 50% of us to turn out, does that not mean that politics has failed?

I think it's a hoary old myth that Cllrs can be the voice of the voter - they're clearly not. They just seem like cuts administrators to me. What we should do is to go for direct democratic control. Why can't we vote on most things instead of our Cllrs doing it for us? If the Labour Party can elect their leader online, why can't we decide on policy online? Cut out the middleman :)

In an ideal world yes, but the reality is surely that Cllrs are whipped. They follow the party line. They are not able to dream up policies and then enact them - they do what they are told. They are appointed to various cttees and can be removed. So, even if a bunch of Cllrs in the ruling party are opposed to something, it'll still get done in spite of them, just like at Westminster.

Ever seen a 'debate' at the Council? No, I thought not - they only happen behind closed doors and if you disagree with the leader, tough.

Hi John. Evidently I can't find anything better to do at 11pm on a Wednesday evening. Equally evidently, neither can Mr Setz!

The difference is,  I enjoy the odd post, you're paid by us to do it (you gain a salary as a Cllr) - I want better value for my money from you, whereas all you can expect from me is fun ;)

Thanks for that link, Clive. As we all know, you have to scrub your hands after touching a copy of the Daily Mail - and disinfect your hard drive if you view the online version.
But I am surprised and would be disappointed if the allegation made about Tristram Hunt is accurate.

I don't think the issue of party donations or MPs' funding can or should be ignored. None of the three main parties are innocent on this. Ten years ago the "Cash for Honours" allegations were in the press. Last year we saw a research paper reported.

And if anyone wants to Google the topic the difficulty is too many rather than too few separate sets of allegations.
A rich man or woman riding a camel may have a problem getting through the eye of needle. It seems they'd have far less of a hassle if they asked their chauffeur to drive a stretch limo into the car park of a Party HQ.

Alan the truth can emerge in surprising places!

Two years ago over someone's shoulder I read a headline about Haringey Council representatives—including a Labour Councillor—going to Cannes to meet property developers to promote a Tottenham sell-off.

At first I was disinclined to believe it, simply because who said it, rather than what they said.

Later, it turned out to be largely true, despite the fact it appeared in the Communist Morning Star.

Like the Daily Mail, it's not my normal paper.

Representatives from Haringey are going again to Cannes in March, as I'm sure you know.

Clive, as you know well, though we don't always agree, I consider what you and others have to say when the comments are well informed and on substantive points. Quite plainly gambling generally and Fixed Odds Betting terminals is a case in point. So is the issue of possible conflicts of political patronage and cash for influence and honours.

Can I suggest though, that you add further comments about the Bull/Peacock victimisation scandal on that discussion. Especially as it now seems to have gone viral. I'm told - but haven't yet been able to find it online - that there's now a petition with signatures from other countries.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service