Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Anyone else thinking that begging is getting a little out of hand ? Not only are the tissue women always trying it on every morning but now begging on the buses by crack users seems to have developed, I was asked last night in Hackney by someone that appeared to be a professional bus trawler ( on and off quickly) .

What's people's thoughts ? I know it's a tricky subject matter and that it's highly possible that some might be making more money per day than some of us but on the other hand their needs are often greater than ours with such roaring drug addictions or poverty back home.

Perhaps trade not aid ? Maybe the tissue sellers are on to something just like the big issue sellers ? Just because they are organised, does that make them wrong? Maybe the problem is the givers encouraging people to continue a highly painful or crime syndicated faganesque lifestyle ? Maybe the problem is that we don't arrest them and offer an immediate forced detox programme if a serious drug addiction is clearly present which is now beginning to infringe on the happiness of others. Perhaps we need some drugs like heroin and crack on prescription for some very troubled users together with a zero tolerance approach to paying people to beg.

More benefits perhaps and allow the state to make this financial transaction in a more civilised way ?

Perhaps we should just give and be pleased we don't have such a crap job to do.

Or become a begger ourselves, is it a good little earner ? it's an ever popular career move after all.

What to do ?

Tags for Forum Posts: begging

Views: 2367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I sometimes offer to buy some food, or a hot drink, instead of giving money. 

Anyone know of a fairly recent report which tries to give a balanced and evidenced range of views of the issues?  I mean the sort of old fashioned on-the-one-hand-on-the-other-hand study.

I saw a "news" item last month about Cambridgeshire Police asking the public not to give money to homeless people. It was headed "Killing With Kindness Campaign to protect the homeless".

The same phrase appeared in a report by Westminster Council in 2004. Though obviously the message that "crime and anti-social behaviour is not tolerated in Westminster" preceded the Parliamentary expenses scandal and other public misfeasance.

No new reports I know of.

If you guys are going to slog this out, please keep it civil.

I was trying to avoid "slogging" anything out, Hol Site admin.  In fact I hoped that a few HoL members would recommend some recent reports which helped me go a little further into the complexities.

Not from HoL, I've been pointed towards the recent postings on the Crisis website.

Not quite sure why you thought that ball was thrown to you, Mr Stanton. It was actually tossed in the direction of two other interlocutors whose (now deleted) comments sounded of sharpening blades.

Sounds a bit violent ?

Well Mr FPR, it was beginning to sound a little unpleasant, but not yet overtly aggressive. Hence the reminder. Better that than closing down the thread.

If one beggar (eg at traffic lights) gets one pound every ten minutes, stands there 8 hours a day for 360 days per year, that makes 17280 pounds per annum tax free. It is really no wonder why they do it.

And what grounds do you have for thinking your hypothetical situation bears any resemblance to reality?

.....because if it wasn't lucrative they simply wouldn't do it. What I omitted to say was that many of them belong to the same families thus increasing the income even more. If you wish to give them money please feel free to do so, I give mine to sightsavers.

They beg because they have to... if you have no work and no benefits what other option is there apart from stealing

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service