Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

(locally brewed but not grown)

I went to the last Brew-Day, great atmosphere and lots to amazing beers, recommend trying Peanut Butter and Biscuit Imperial Stout.

http://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/blog

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll go to this, I've tried to find a price list but there isn't one on the website. Any idea of prices?
Salut!

These prices are for the 'Rainbow Project' event they held a few weeks ago. They were super limited and available for one day only.

The normal price at the bar is £2.50 for a 2/3 pint, and I'd imagine the Camden/Beavertown collaboration will cost the same.

When churches started taking over units and having events on this trading estate there was - quite rightly in my view - a concern that the planning and licensing rules should be followed.

Do you know, Chris D, if this has happened with the event announced here?  Sauce for the "goose sauce; for the gander" etc. 

Sorry, I've no idea but would be a shame to see it stopped as it provides employment to local community and the other doesn't.

As Luther pointed out, churches - and other religious bodies - have their business aspects. Including the provision of jobs.

My question is not about the need to stop something, but whether the "something" is following the rules which apply to everyone.  Or whether perhaps someone in authority thinks the something or someone is special?  And therefore "above" the rules?  Which may be because they're seen as positive. ("Look, these are the good guys. We like them. We support what they're doing. Why let some bureaucratic regulations stand in the way? Waive the rules. Flatten the regulations for this person/business/political party/good friend of mine/generous fundraiser for our cause.) 

Or perhaps they're seen as the bad guys? And so don't "deserve" the rights and protection of the Rule of Law. ("Do whatever it takes to 'get' so-and-so.  They are an enemy.")

The practical problem was spelled out by playwright Robert Bolt. I posted this quote last year.

"WILLIAM ROPER:  So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!

THOMAS MORE:  Yes. What would you do?  Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

ROPER:  I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

MORE:  Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you - where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?  This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast - man's laws, not God's - and if you cut them down - and you're just the man to do it - d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then?  (Quietly) Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake." -  (From A Man for All Seasons)

_____

None of which excludes sensitivity, reasonableness, compassion; common sense and basic decency.

But to give a hypothetical example, let's say you think it's wrong for Business X to employ people at below minimum wage? Do you hire a cleaner for your home and pay them less?  The Golden and Silver Rules.

Surely if we compiled a list of problems in Tottenham Hale (traffic/betting shops/pubic drunkenness/illegally converted rental properties/pollution/fly tripping..........) these kind of planning and licensing rules breakers would be at the bottom and (probably) Haringey Council at the top.

As for churches, I'm more concerned with them setting up in residential areas (noise/extra-traffic) like in Scales/Holcombe Rd area where I live, also fundamentalist christian ones promoting homophobia and intolerance which have or still preach such nonsense in Haringey.

Hi Chris 

I notice you live in the Scales/Road Holcombe Road area. That's round the corner from Alan and me.  I think many people share your concerns about noise, traffic, not to mention the  rubbish and endless dumping, the HMOs, the promised but still unregenerated Holcombe market, the development and sustainability of Down Lane Park, and many other local issues. Of course there 's also the matter of 10,000 homes coming our way with no mention of, for example, health provision. 

Please join our Dowsett Estate Residents' Association - we are campaigning locally and have had a few recent successes especially around stopping HMOs and making the council  do something about the anti-social behaviour in Holcombe Market.

My email is: zena.brabazon@blueyonder.co.uk so please do get in touch.

All the best

Zena 

Hi Zena, I'm already on the scarey39@yahoo.co.uk mailing list but unfortunately (so far) I seem to be busy whenever the Dowsett Estate Residents' Association meetings happen.

Regards

Chris

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service