Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Great news for Harringay. A Turkish restaurant is opening on Green Lanes. 

With Megara's transformation from Baklava Saloon complete, it's about time we had a Turkish restaurant opening. So you'll be delighted to hear that Tasty Chicken next to Disney/Savers is to become a kebab shop (owner's description). 

What else could anyone want?!

Views: 6158

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I mentioned that in an earlier post. The high rents in Soho are having an adverse impact on business but it is still a hub for the Chinese comuunitty to eat and shop, For those with cars, the Wing Yip supermarkets in Croydon and Staples Corner act as a meeting place for Chinese families. A much wider Asian community use to use Oriental City in Hendon as a meeting place to meet, break bread and shop, until developers took it away. My point is that the shops and restaurants of Green Lanes act as a hub for a wider community as evidenced by the vibrant activity at night. The restaurants provide an important service to this wider community and this S the context that needs to be taken into consideration.

and long may these hubs continue to exist on green lanes and elsewhere. i dont hear anyone suggesting they shouldnt. the issue i see raised as a concern is about the future, about retaining a balance where a 'hub' can co-exist with a local high street.

Not in dispute at all. The crush in Yasr Halim on Sundays also testify to that. The clothes, hairdressers and photo shops also thrive off the wedding business ( I love to see a shop full of ladies and kids having their hair done while the men all stand around looking uncomfortable in their suits). The splendid shoe shop sold me some of the most comfortable sandals I've ever worn and I got a quick lesson from one of the other shoppers who told me she was a buyer for Selfridges on why Turkish leather is better than Italian. Baldwins is the finest butcher in North London IMHO and getting caught behind people buying a weeks worth of meat on a Sunday is entirely my fault for not getting up earlier.

Turning a chicken shop into something other than a kebab shop would hardly threaten the Turkish or Kurdish community or prevent it from gathering to eat and shop. It is absolutely its most important function (I was one of the people complaining loudly about the absolute manky state of Green Lanes during Eid and the awful impression it must have made on the people coming to celebrate on the street).

Of course, the patrons of the chicken shop might be sad to see yet another place to get hot food very cheaply disappear (I realise I may be alone in defending the chicken shop)

Incidentally I was sitting in the excellent Turkish owned Music and Beans listening to some from the Turkish community discussing the opening of this shop. They didn't exactly welcome it to be honest. They were quite young and hip* though so perhaps I was just eavesdropping on the wrong conversation.

*I am neither of these things

In the interest of balance I welcome the voice of the middle aged and cool.

Speaking of middle-aged and cool, To be honest Hugh I'd quite like another Shamata (I know it didn't last) sort of place with a laid back feel where you can hang out, have a cup of Turkish tea and some good home cooked food and a chat or read your book or stare out of the window. Probably not going to get it and it seemed that it fell between two types of demand ( hip hang out or kebab house ) but I miss it and I haven't had a decent glass of Turkish tea or a good yuvalama since Melda left (our loss is California's gain)
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/what-i-had-for-my-tea-y...
The issue with Chinatown is not that it is failing due to lack of visitors who eat and shop there but the greed of the landlords who are pricing out traditional businesses for multinational generic high chains. The landlords don't care about the character or needs of the wider community just that they can cash in on astronomical rents
Yes Pat, I'm actually quite surprised by the bitterness and sarcastic tone this thread has taken. What do you expect in a neighbourhood that has such an established Turkish community.

I do get the variety is good thing and I support that, but this is London and we are hardly short of it if you take the hyperlocal blinkers off for a moment. Also I think there is now also plenty of it on Green Lanes. It's not like there aren't great cafés, pubs and shops as well.
Raising an issue about the constant and persistent sniggering about certain types of business is neither pathetic nor unbecoming and I will not be silenced on this issue by being branded as such. I am entitled to raise the issue.

So please sir move along or show some tolerance to the views of others. It would also assist you in future if you read the point I made - I.e "I have no doubt it's not intended as such"

Have a good evening and please in future take the advice on racism ethnicity cards and direct it elsewhere

Here, here.  If I may add to your list:

- do not leer at women as they pass

- do not spit

- clear up their own rubbish

you just summed up most of the shops 

Isn't it entertaining to be rude and offensive - good grief I had forgotten just how appalling some people's stereotypes can really be

Have a good evening gentleman

A stereotype becomes a stereotype because it's true often enough.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service