Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An application as just been made to demolish a huge swathe of buildings to the north of Hornsey High Street in preparation fro the new Sainsbury's. 

See the application and comment here.

Tags for Forum Posts: Sainsbury's, hornsey depot-sainsbury's

Views: 1692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish they'd rebuild the swimming pool. Harringay lacks a local pool that you don't have to drive to.

The Design and Access Statement gives a good overview although it plays down the scale and presence of the Sainsbury's and the Car Park that will dominate the centre of the site.

I support the idea of making better use of this under utilised site, creating more permeability across the site and of providing additional housing and workspace. However as it stands these benefits will be totally eclipsed by the detrimental impact that the Sainsbury's supermarket will have on the development of this site, the High Street and the wider area.
Some of my key objections are:
- The size of the supermarket is totally out of scale with character of Hornsey High Street as a local retail centre.
- The existing 1930s bath building which is an integral part of the Hornsey High Street Conservation Area, is to be demolished and replaced by a large traffic junction such as the one constructed as part of the New River Village Development which will break the continuity of the High Street. In the application they state that the bath building has a detrimental impact on the urban setting!
- The development relates badly to the Great Norther Railway Tavern and turns its back on Cross Lane
- The Scale of the Hornsey Lane Block is too large and will have a detrimental impact on the Hornsey High Street Conservation Area.
- The heart of the site will be dominated by a car park which will be an eyesore
- A Sainsbury's of this size in the area will put further pressure on independent retailers in Hornsey and Crouch End.
- The traffic generated by the supermarket and the additional of a traffic junction on the High Street will bring traffic into the area and cause congestion.
This model of supermarket development may be appropriate to business parks or suburban locations, but is not suitable for high street locations such as Hornsey. Apart from anything else there is no need for another Sainsbury's - they already have large stores 1.4 miles away in Muswell Hill in one direction and 1.7miles in Haringay in the other. In addition to this there is a already a Tescos on the high street and a Waitrose, Tescos, Budgens and Marks and Spencers  within 1 mile in Crouch End and a large Morrison 1.2miles away in Wood Green.
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who objects to this development so we can try and make a coordinated objection.

I fundamentally disagree with your analysis. This proposed Sainsburys is not the size of Harringay Green Lanes. Muswell Hill Sainsburys is 14000 sq ft, this is 19000. As such, I do not agree that it is too large. An out of town development has been shown to be detrimental to the high street, so it is more suited to being sited in Hornsey High Street. Hornsey High Street needs development, something that has been called for across the political divide. Why should we suffer a blighted High Street in order to protect retail shopping in Crouch End, which is a much stronger retail centre than 18 years ago and should cope with a Sainsburys of this size. Effectively, you are taking a completely nimby position. Well, many of us down here do want to see regeneration of the high street. I think that the revised plans are now acceptable.

I agree Dana! Bring on the new Sainos! Sooner the better! 

Does anyone think that this new store might take some of the congestion away from Green lanes as Harringey Sainsburies is a nightmare? Or do you think this will just stay the same and another congestion area be created to add to the mess?

Well, I drive from Hornsey to the Sainsburys in Harringay to do my main shop. This will mean that I can walk there, so I will no longer be driving. I certainly think it will help. Because other areas are relatively well served, fewer people should be driving to this development. I can't really see people driving down from Crouch End, unless they were already driving to Sains Green Lanes or over the hill to Tesco Colney Hatch. 

Look, as I posted before, some people are just anti development.

This is not a huge store. The plans were revised to remove the 10 story block, reduce the blocks on the high street to 3 stories so that they match the original buildings and the 8 story blocks are set back where the land dips down. It has been very hard for shops to succeed in the High Street. We need development and we all know how badly we need homes. This will have 40% affordable housing, 20% social and 20% shared ownership. Maybe our kids will be able to afford to stay in London (and our teachers!)

So what is the timeline for the opening of this store?

2023  I don't use Sainsbury as much as I use Argos.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service