Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I got a call today from Harringay Traders Chair Shefik Mehmet with an invitation from Haldun Ozdemir, boss of Tramp Cafe down on the corner of Lothair. And, how could I refuse the chance to have a bit of a nose around!

It's been some time in gestation, but as my first peek inside proved, Tramp appears to be a real labour of love. Every inch has been lovingly crafted from reclaimed Victoriana using materials from a grand old hotel / pub on the Edgware Road.

Haldun has reclaimed everything he can. He's used old bannisters, ancient looking yorkstone flooring, old joists and even the Victorian fire damaged pub ceiling has found a place. It's all being left with it's natural aged finish, be it worn or fire damaged.

It looks like the furnishings will be equally authentic. I got a peek today of one of two  bench seats lavishly covered in some rather sumptuous old material. If that's a sign of the way the furnishings will go, it's looks they'll be setting off the fabric of the building rather nicely.

Haldun told me that as far as food is concerned his inspiration will be Goode and Wright in Notting Hill. By all accounts he'll be employing the staff to make that more than just an over-reaching ambition.

He's accepted that he's going to miss opening on his 50th birthday on 22nd April. He's decided instead to give himself a comfortable margin to get things finished to his satisfaction. Apparently, we can now expect to see Tramp opening in the Summer - probably the latter part.

If you're chomping at the bit, in the meantime, I took a few teasing photos of what's in store for us all. 

Tramp: Every inch constructed from reclaimed materials. Even the mortar is lime and horsehair!

Tramp: The charm of the old is being retained

Tramp: Detailing on one of the walls

Tramp: Old furniture and fabrics will be part of the package

Tramp: Great place for some yakkity-yak?

Tramp: The ceiling is from the fire damaged Edgware Road pub

Tramp: No lack of atmosphere

While I was visiting, local Sean O'Neill wandered in. Originally from Kilkenny, Sean told me he used to fancy himself as a George Best stand-in. Hi Sean!

Tags for Forum Posts: tramp

Views: 4019

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Googled this today as I saw the sign was up but it's been in the making since 2013?? Any ideas what the 2 year delay was?

Haldun's had a full-time job that drove the delay and a relationship with his landlord that enabled it.

The current plan is September.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service