Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Morning all,

We have just found out that Paddy Power wants to open a betting shop in the recently closed pub on Lordship (606 Lordship Lane N22 5JH)  about 5-7 minutes walk from Wood Green tube station. I live locally and am totally outraged as there are already 2 betting shops within 30 seconds walk of that old pub - a William Hill and Ladbrokes.

There is a sign on the door saying Paddy Power has submitted an application under the Gambling Act 2005 and that any representations need to be made in writing to the licensing authorities by 25th March.

I know similar situations have cropped up on Green Lanes and some of you have been active in fighting it - I would like your advice on how to stop this! I am planning writing to local councilors and MPs and will start a petition .

How can it be allowed to have three in such a short stretch of street - the noise and rubbish these places produce is terrible? 

Please sign the petition here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/not-another-betting-shop-on-lord...

Thanks for your support!

Katie 

Tags for Forum Posts: betting, petition, shop

Views: 3052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/Applica...
link to object to the planning permission and changes to the front of the building. this is short notice i know but if you could submit objections to this too - deadline tomorrow 1st April at midnight if i am calculating the 21 days from 11th March correctly. And no this is not an April fool's!

done. 

A template objection for the planning permission Paddy Power has submitted - have until midnight tonight to send through comments. Thanks Mei for drafting this!

I object strongly to the proposed changes to the pub at 606 Lordship Lane. While the building is not located in a conservation area it is adjacent to the Noel Park conservation estate and the proposed changes will affect the visual appearance and not be in keeping with the character and appearance of the conservation area.

Furthermore, although not listed the property has a long history (over 120 years old) and architectural features of interest. Paddy Powers corporate signage, colour and style is not sympathetic to the mock Tudor frontage and features of the property. The proposed signage would completely alter the look of the property.

The pub is situated across from Chapmans Green, a local park which is popular with local residents and frequented by families with young . Small children. Paddy Power's signage will be visible from the green and will have an impact on vulnerable young children, further exposing them to advertising and gambling publicity. In addition, it will also be exposed to children walking to and from the green along Lordship Lane on the way to the park.

Altering the look of the building will also affect the visual impact of the small parade of shops. There is already another betting shop less than 15 metres away, the signage of Paddy Power as another betting shop will dominate and overwhelm other non betting neighbouring businesses, reducing the viability of neighbouring businesses and promoting gambling as a primary business in the area.

The above is of particular concern. While not directly in the Wood Green SPD area, its proximity to the town centre means the presence of a strong, viable and sustainable local economy on Lordship Lane is equally important. The signage of Paddy Power as mentioned above will add to the number of businesses as betting shops and not give the impression of a thriving and viable local area. haringey Council's own Local Plan (SP1) says development must respect the character of its surroundings which the proposed changes to the shop front will not.

The proposed changes will cause significantly affect the visual impact of the neighbouring residential area and Chapmans Green. I would ask that the changes be rejected for the above reasons.

HGY/2014/0716

I object to the application to install a number of satellite dishes on the roof of 606 Lordship Lane.

606 Lordship Lane backs onto a huge residential area and currently, the view is of relatively clear roofs with only a few small satellite dishes.

The installation of 4 satellite dishes, a TV aerial and two condensers will impact the visual amenity of the residential properties and surrounding areas towards Lordship Lane. From the applicant's proposal, it is likely the installations will occupy a large proportion if not all of the flat roofs at the rear. This will dramatically alter the view from the residential area towards Lordship Lane, making it unsightly and obtrusive for neighbours.

Furthermore, the two condensers will be running fairly long hours and the noise would impact the residential properties neighbouring the site. This will cause undue disturbance to the residential neighbours, forcing them to endure the sound over long periods of the day and night. The condensers will emit a low, constant, continuous hum.

For the above reasons I would ask that the application be rejected.

HGY/2014/0717

I object strongly to the proposed changes to the pub at 606 Lordship Lane. While the building is not located in a conservation area it is adjacent to the Noel Park conservation estate and the proposed changes will affect the visual appearance and not be in keeping with the character and appearance of the conservation area.

Furthermore, although not listed the property has a long history (over 120 years old) and architectural features of interest. Paddy Powers corporate signage, colour and style is not sympathetic to the mock Tudor frontage and features of the property. The proposed signage is too bright and whether illuminated or not would completely alter the look of the property.

The pub is situated across from Chapmans Green, a local park which is popular with local residents and frequented by families with young . Small children. Paddy Power's signage will be visible from the green and will have an impact on vulnerable young children, further exposing them to advertising and gambling publicity. In addition, it will also be exposed to children walking to and from the green along Lordship Lane on the way to the park.

The signs will also affect the visual impact of the small parade of shops. There is already another betting shop less than 15 metres away, the signage of Paddy Power as another betting shop will dominate and overwhelm other non betting neighbouring businesses, reducing the viability of neighbouring businesses and promoting gambling as a primary business in the area.

The above is of particular concern. In the Council's Local Plan DMP 23 provides for signage to "be of the highest possible standards and promote a safe and attractive environment". The signage for a betting shop will not promote a safe and attractive environment as it will overwhelm the advertising of smaller local businesses next door to it. Furthermore, the signage is garish and unsightly. It will detract from the visual quality Of the row of shops.

The proposed changes will cause significantly affect the visual impact of the neighbouring residential area and Chapmans Green. I would ask that the changes be rejected for the above reasons.

My wife and I have objected to all three. I wonder if there is any way of getting the building listed as somewhere 'important to the community' - if that even exists. 

I also wrote to the company who owes the chain of pubs that includes The Gate over by Ally Pally, telling them how much we'd love a nice pub/restaurant in the area. Here are the contact details if anyone is interested. http://www.orchidgroup.co.uk/contact.php

Hello, did anyone else receive the notification of hearing letter from the council this morning?

.... Any idea if it is best to represent in person, or if it holds more weight if an MP represents on behalf of the interested parties (and on which note if any of them are willing to do so?)

Thanks!!

Being there in person would be best- mps should be there too but the more people are there the better, also I'd encourage as many people to give evidence as possible.

Our letter notifying us about the hearing was received on 1 April but said we should reply before the 14 march! I imagine this is a typo and was meant to say April, could everyone please make an effort to attend as this is our last stand and the only time our voices will truly be heard.

i also received this letter (and noticed the typo!)

Imagine asking coke users to take a five minute break between snorts and expecting that to be a good
measure to protect them or setting up a system where addicts can set a buy limit with with any one street dealer but allow them to break that limit by going to another dealer and calling that a 'crackdown'....

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/06/crackdown-gambling-f...

I've made some more posters notifying people about the hearing on Tuesday, I really do think that if people know about this then they will show an interest. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to print and stick up anything up until Monday evening, which may be too late. Is there anyone that could run a few off and stick over the pub, bus stops and around the local area today? 

I've done an A3 and A4 version, you can download them here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2702980/NO%20TO%20PADDY%20POWER...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2702980/NO%20TO%20PADDY%20POWER...

Anyone else see this post in the news over the weekend? Sadly too late for LL I think.

'Councils will be able to refuse a planning application if they are worried about the number of shops'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27176715

Just seen an email from lib dems saying the application has been rejected! Is this correct? If so, that is fantastic news and thank you to everyone who participated. 

Really!!! I don't want to get my hopes up.... but.....

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service