Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This happened near to my daughter's flat - she heard the victim's screams - a 20 year old girl coming back from a night out - at 7 a.m this morning. Police have ticker-taped the area.

Tags for Forum Posts: rape

Views: 778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like thes lines from the Reclaim the Night site:

women should not be blamed or restricted because of male violence.

(Talking about other times when serial rapists have been in an area) The police response....was to warn all women not to go out at night. This was not a helpful suggestion for any woman .....they walked in their hundreds through the city streets at night to highlight that they should be able to walk anywhere
Thanks for posting a link to Reclaim the Night! As you say, women already feel scared enough about going out at night alone, we really don't need our lives to be dominated by fear.

Altogether it's great to see the members of HoL taking this so seriously and talking about taking action as a community.
Thanks for letting us know-i cant believe i slept through it, as I live right on the corner of mattison rd on the alley way but wear earplugs, but knew something had still woken me up yesterday-about 7am
I will leave a message out for the 2 young women who live above me
thankfully i ride a bike so feel pretty safe
Thanks for the suggestion about getting on the SNT mailing list Nic - a good idea. As an alternative, we also post all police maiings and newsletters here. Jono's also become a useful and regular contributor to the site. I guess, everyone should use whichever channel they feel most comfortable with.
The police are great and doing a fantastic job, but have severe constraints on what they can tell the public. Would we yet know about this event if only the police knew about it? I suspect not, although I may be wrong...
No she screamed and at least one neighbour came out and he ran off...
Could I suggest a community “nosey neighbour” database that could be distributed to the police, residents groups and HOL admin. I wouldn't want this to be some sort of vigilante group but more a real life surveillance group that could be in the right place at the right time to assist police.

This could consist of phone numbers of people who could act as eyes and ears up and down the Ladder, Wightman and Green Lanes (and beyond). We could have two or so on each road, top and bottom, this way we could possibly witness and get a view of any suspicious people.

There's no need to give addresses or even names, just a number and Falkland West / Middle / East.

Just a thought?
I really think that any solutions we propose now will definitely be knee jerk and we may regret them in the fullness of time. There are plenty of nosey neighbours around but I doubt they'd want to be on a database.

Between the two of us we have most people's idea of "suspicious looking" covered.
I would very much like to see police patrols stepped up in the area - thinking about it I have only ever seen them on the main green lanes drag - do they ever branch off and walk down the alleyway? Looking out for each other and being vigilant is a nice idea in theory, but the sad truth is that these attacks happen when most people are asleep and lone victims become easy prey!

Personally I have found it encouraging to read the comments and register the concern that is being shown by members of this forum - I'd be much more likely to take my chances and go up to the nearest door if I suspected I was being followed.

I also feel quite strongly that local residents need to be made aware of both incidents - if we didn't happen to use this website and had been away when the first attack happened, we wouldn't have had a clue.
Totally agree Catherine. I have passed on info to my local Neighbourhood watch list, but it's just not big enough. What else can we do to make more people aware?We do not want to create mass hysteria - but at the same time women needs to be aware.
Police, door to door, would that work?
If it's about keeping people informed, getting people to sign up here is a start, I guess. It's the sort of thing sites like this are made for.
It's not "the alleyway", it's "the passage" and it is a safe place to walk. I'm not being rude (I hope), I just think names are important (pedant, I know).

I see policemen, nice big ones, quite often walking the passage in the evenings. I make a point of using it myself in a sort of "flying the flag" way. Please, this is not about the passage.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service