Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I saw some work going on in the ex-immigration consultants premises bang opposite St Ann's Road. So, I popped in and asked what sort of shop they were creating. "An ale shop", I was told. Wow, I thought....great. Then he added, "You know for the ladies.....for the nails....a nail shop". Ah well, nearly.

Then two doors down in the old Haringey Flooring "Closed for Reburbishment"), I noticed an alcohol licensing application pinned in the window. So, in addition to Bun & Bar in the former Obergine premises, it looks like we're to have another bar on that strip - but sorry, no ale shop.

Views: 2219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not candles - handles, fork handles

Hey Hugo

Good news because we are hoping to offer, few good ales along with some variety of drafts and some fine wines ;) In a few weeks we thought of carrying out a little survey to find out what the residents of harringay would think of some of the varieties that we would be offering and along with some feed back it would be great to get some suggestions since we are hoping to create a local hangout zone for residents.

Just to let you in a few thoughts some of the ales we have thought of introducing might be some of these options Ranger India Pale Ale (USA), Yorkshire Stingo (UK), 312 Urban Wheat Ale (USA):)

Great news John. Any decent ale on draft would make you perfect. Can we also have Leonie Evans playing every week? She's brilliant.

Hey Bushy
Leonie is definitly a great tallent but i think she performs in a local bar in the area so i dont think it will be very ethical to have her while shes currently performing however thanks so much for the recomendations please keep up the thoughts. Dont forget we are trying to provide something new to the area, so all new talents and recomendations are welcomed :))
Why two from the states?? Please support the ever increasing local micro breweries. All I've sampled are fantastic.
Hey Sam

İve only gaved a few examples of ales that we thought of ,once we start or survey on drinks please let me know your suggestions. İ think one or two draft ales would be great so it would be great to decide all together what the area needs;)

A lot of the US beers (such as the Ranger IPA) are a bit too over-hopped and over-strength (I think it's about 6-7%) to be more than a one or two pint novelty beer, similarly the Yorkshire Stingo is pretty heavy and very strong. If you're only looking at having one or two ales I'd try going with something a bit more accessible.

Maybe something like St Peters Brewery who do a wide variety of nice beers but aren't seen that often in pubs. They also do plenty of bottles so you can stock up on a wider variety of more interesting beers without the concern of it going off.

Thanks for the link. I'd no idea just how many brewers there are in London now,

"I don't get the point of selling american "craft" beer which is often  brewed to old english recipes and has to travel 3000 miles.  The local beer scene is dynamic and exciting."

Hear hear! Exactly.

Not being precious but...

'Invented' makes them sound like chemical brews. Or maybe they are just that?

I think 'created' sounds better.

I am a Reinheitsgebot man myself. All the rest are simply not quite right.

Thanks Andrew
We would definitely take your recommendation on board:) You are right about the ales that I've listed to be a bit heavy with 7% :) You seem to know your ales, so I'm looking forward to your comments when we post our survey:)
Have a great weekend ;)

I was going to reply with pretty much exactly what Sam and Andrew have said:

a) all the examples you gave are really strong and very highly hopped. As your main beers you really need two or three classic ales at regular strengths, maybe one below 4%, one about 4% and perhaps one about 4.5%, giving a balance of styles and strengths, but all being drinkable in reasonable volume.

b) you really should look at going for local breweries. The whole 'go local' scene is a big movement and there are so many excellent local breweries now it would be criminal not to use them! Examples are the London Fields Brewery and the Redemption Brewery to name but two. I'm not saying only have local ales, but there should certainly be a couple.

I strongly recommend popping over to have a look at the Earl Haig Memorial Hall in Crouch End (on Elder Avenue, down the side of the Queens). They've done the place up in a very cool modern but slightly grungy way and have a small stage for live music but as well as being pretty trendy, it also has an excellent range of ales on tap, including several from the London Fields Brewery. It might be worth talking to them to see how they source their ales and what their beer policy is.

Cheers!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service