Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There appears to have been a nasty road accident outside The Beaconsfield. Looks like a pedestrian may have been hit by a bus.

Green Lanes is closed all around the area.

Does anyone know what happened? (traffic stationary and backing-up with people on diversion along Endymion Road).

Tags for Forum Posts: Bus, Green, Lanes, accident, traffic

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Several tons at 20mph is still a lot and more than enough to kill. What's worse, professional drivers in large vehicles being fearful of a spell in jail if they kill a pedestrian or more fatal accidents?
You miss the point. I agree that there should be a 20mph limit along Green Lanes.
I suspect it wouldn't have prevented this accident though.
Hornsey Journal story on this here.
Are they quoting you there OAE?
Most if not all bad/ fatal accidents happen at this stretch near the Old Ale where traffic is slow moving and people walk out into it
The faster sections at the North end people are more careful
There are less cars, more visibility and yes they go faster but there are still many people crossing outside mount view ct.
I cross at this junction regularly and have to say that transport planners really have to come up with something pretty amazing to improve this dangerous crossing. Traffic speeds along here, definately more than 30mph, to avoid the lights. Cars that are turning into Sainsburys do not stop at the lights, so it's understandable why pedestrians might cross when traffic builds up and then unfortunately in this instance a bus came trundling along on the bus lane which she may not have seen. I am guessing here of course because I can see how this could easily happen to anyone. I hope she is ok now. Does anyone have any news?
Seems so, Liz. With this level of investigative JOURNALism one should weigh every word. I wouldn't want a posse of TfL & AA hitmen kicking in my door.
He was driving past a well known black spot too fast to stop. So it's back to blame the victim eh?
That's not fair - we simply don't know what happened. So we shouldn't blame the victim, or the driver.

I'm not suggesting that anyone blames the victim, but surely you've had had that experience on Green Lanes where someone just appears in the middle of the road unexpectedly. I get it a lot cycling and there have been a few occasions where it's been touch and go whether I'd be able to avoid hitting them. And I cycle really SLOWLY!
@ John McM Nobody has mentioned blame - well you were the first to do so.

But maybe you have inside knowledge ?
Doubt that it was the drivers fault (see previous post) is the same as saying it was the victim's fault. No?
Only if you see everything in black and white.

As it happens, I have just driven up Green Lanes past Sainsbury's and the traffic never exceeded 15 mph and was mostly held to about 8mph. This gave me ample time to watch a woman with 3 children cross from the Beaconsfield towards the railway entrance completely ignoring the controlled crossing 10 yards away. I was also privileged to see a cyclist heading north going the wrong side of the pedestrian refuge at the crossing.

You can't legislate for idiots and it's not always the driver's fault.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service