Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Access to thousands of research journal articles to be made available through public libraries

The BBC reports that 

Hundreds of thousands of research journal articles are to be made available on computers in public libraries.

The Access to Research initiative will give the public access to articles on health, biological research, engineering and social sciences for the first time.

More than 8,000 journals from around the world are included.

The technology involved has already been tested by 10 local authorities in 250 public libraries and the initiative will now be extended throughout the UK, initially for a two-year pilot.

Read more

Tags for Forum Posts: libraries

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great!! 

And about time. As far as I know, most academic journal articles are written without payment to the authors and the journals have been funded by subscriptions from other academics, and university and other libraries.

There's been a very welcome recent push to make articles freely downloadable. Also, academic writers are often very generous if you email and request copies of their papers etc. But this could take things a lot further.

I get a small but steady trickle of students and researchers contacting me about the Tottenham riot and the appalling Kober/Strickland social cleansing and degeneration plans. I now always ask them how they will make their "findings" available to local residents who want to read them online. And not just to people who are lucky enough to have free acccess to a University library.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Except Haringey is not yet on the list of participating libraries.

Will it work online, or can we only join in by physically visiting a library, I wonder?

No, it's in the pilot stage which is now to be extended hopefully including Haringey but I can always check that with the powers that be. I imagine you'll have to use the public computers but maybe not. Haringey already offer a mixture of remote access and library only for the resources they already subscribe to

Haringey Libraries are currently in the process of signing up to the Access to Research initiative, so it will soon be available in all nine libraries.  I will update this thread when the service goes live.

As per the terms of the agreeement the service will be available on public computers in the library only.  There will initially be 1.5 million journal articles available and this is set to increase.

Jonathan Cowley, Wood Green Central Library

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know Jonathan.

The Access to Research service is now available in all nine Haringey Libraries.

The service provides access to over 8,800 journals covering subjects including health, biological sciences, engineering, business and economics.

The service is available on public computers in the library only on the Access to Research website

For more information please see the Access to Research FAQs and Haringey Libraries free online resources

Jonathan Cowley, Wood Green Central Library

That's great - thanks for keeping us updated on this Jonathan.

Yes, this is really good news - though you do have to go to a library (you can search for articles online but not access them from home). Its really frustrating how many academic articles (which are usually based on publicly funded research) are hidden behind paywalls, so initiatives like this one are very welcome. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service