Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Abusive North Harringay parent: shouting at cyclist and parking illegally

Regular poster here. Have name changed for security reasons.

I was cycling along Falkland Rd this morning just before 9am, leaving enough room between myself and the line of parked cars on the left so that if someone opened a car door I wouldn’t get knocked over. (Before someone comes on this thread and castigates me for selfishness, this is the way cyclists are supposed to position themselves safely on a road where there are parked cars and the risk of getting ‘doored’. It’s how I was taught by the council-approved cycle trainers, and is completely legal.)

When there was a break in the parked cars I pulled over to the left to let the few cars behind me go overtake me. One of the drivers pulled up alongside me, leaned over the passenger seat, and proceeded to shout abuse: I shouldn’t be on the road, I should be on the footpath (!), how dare I make him late etc. I told him that I had exactly the same right to be on the road as a car. He sped off and I saw him park up outside North Harringay Primary to drop his daughter off, illegally parking on the yellow lines.

I got a picture of his registration plate and the fact he was parked on yellow lines. When he came back to his car and saw I had taken his picture I got another earful of abuse before he sped off. If anyone feels they may know this man then I’d like to know his details. Motorists who genuinely believe that cyclists don’t have the right to be on the road put all cyclists in danger, and those who park illegally outside schools precisely where they’re not supposed to put children in danger as well.

Tags for Forum Posts: cycling, parking, traffic

Views: 2307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll also add that if someone showed up at my son's school with a photograph of me trying to find out who I was, I'd want them arrested for stalking me.

I'm curious as to how you get on with the Police as I had a bit of a fail with them recently and wondered if I'm on some kind of "don't be too helpful" list. You can read about it here but it involved an actual assault corroborated by an independent witness. Asking around I just heard that they're not really pursuing this type of thing so if you actually have someone you want to beat up, now's the time to do it.

John, your link goes to map of downtown Chicago!

Oh sorry, that's our proxy at work... but doesn't it have a review of Tottenham Lane Service Station on it? For those having trouble, here is the review:

Staff behaviour is consistently appalling. Witnessed them speeding aggressively in and out of the car park on multiple occasions. Today I saw them nearly knock down 3 young children walking home from school, them screaming in terror. When a polite passerby asked him to slow down, the man (who appeared to be the manager as he was closing up) leapt from his car and began to attack the nice pedestrian. It was very terrifying and happened right in front of the children he nearly ploughed down. Utterly shocking.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service