Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wish that I took more photos of the hood in the 90s. I probably took this photo because of the snow, not realising that it would be of historical interest by now. Does anyone remember the old Suffolk punch, one of the first Wetherspoon pubs in London? And of course there was Barnabys, probably the most famous Greek Cypriot bakery in London. The shop with the red sign, (after the scaffolding towards the Salisbury) may have been Londis, a little supermarket run by a nice and brother and sister, but I forgot their names.

Tags for Forum Posts: 1990s, grand parade

Views: 3146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has it changed that much? I just took a look at Googler and apart from the Colly having gone it is all physically much the same. 

I really liked the Suffolk Pub. The prices were good and sometimes had Sunday lunch there, cheaper than cooking it all myself and a glass of wine! There was a lot to be said for the early Wetherspoons IMO.

Lots of the shops that were here when I first came to live here have gone, most of them in fact! There was a vacuum cleaner shop even plus that lovely bakery shop and the Greek music double shop by the station. Most have been replaced by cafes and restaurants as we know. 

I remember the Old Suffolk Punch opening when I lived at Chesterfield Gardens in 1983/84 and I used to buy bread from Barnaby. A lot of the pubs then were not very welcoming to younger people or women so a bunch of us went along on opening night to stake a claim. It was a great evening – a lot of others had the same idea. The person sitting next to us was an astrologer who'd been an original hippy.

Was hoping to see a mention of a fantastic Indian restaurant that couldn’t of been far from where this photo was taken. South and West side of Green Lanes. We would wobble in after the pubs shut and sit until 2 or 3 in the morning. Happy days 40 odd years ago. I’ve been to a good few other Indian restaurants since and nothing has come close to being as good.

The Indian restaurant was where Brouhaha now is (which was previously The Garden Ladder bar)

Great to be able to pinpoint it down now to 501 GL on Google maps. Thanks!

Did you know that Barbara Windsor used to live in a flat above the shops on the eastern side of GL in the 60s? Think it was above or at least near to where Disneys used to be. 

I’m trying to remember what used to be where the Suffolk Punch is in this photo…

The corner unit of the Suffolk Punch was a bakers (think it was named Coombes)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service