Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was wondering why Justin was so excited this morning on Twitter. Now I know. It seems that former Mayor Alan Dobbie has crossed the floor and joined the Conservatives. More here at the Haringey Indy

My, we live in interesting times.

Views: 355

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Alan, why don't you invite Dobbie on to HOL. I for one think that would be a very good idea.
I think under all the fluff about liking the cut of the Tories gib, you have got to the heart of the reason that Dobbie has abandoned the Labour group, Matt.

As Alan says, Dobbie has a greater insight into the workings of the inner circle than any of us and he hints at a great darkness at the heart (oops getting caught up in Alan's Lord of the Rings stories) of local government in Haringey that he clearly feels that he is powerless to reform and so has walked away from.

Justin, has he put faith in your party because you are yet untested in
running the council so you haven't got any history? The expectation is huge that not only will your party be more moral but that you will champion reform that will root out corruption. Are you up to it? Who have you got prepared to step forward and declare themselves? One defected councillor does not a leadership challenge make.

On the whole, I'm finding it very disturbing that the good people within the Labour group are unable to fight this darkness from within but feel compelled to walk away.

Michael Sandel in this years Reith lecture has called for a return to people taking up political roles because it is they have a passion for community, believe in trust and solidarity and they want to make the world a better place not because of the benefits they can accrue to themselves with money, status and promises of cushy jobs after serving their terms.

I believe these are the people we would want to vote for so all parties need to find them and persuade them to take up political life and dump all the self serving types that currently sit within the ranks of all the major parties.

Cameron has had a lucky break really in that with the MPs expenses scandal he can get rid of all those awful politicians like the Winterbottoms and the likes of Julie Kirkbride but he needs to replace them with a different calibre of politician. More with the intelligence of William Hague and less boneheads like Antony Steen.

As I said above, these could be interesting times, lets hope that politicians genuinely learn their lesson and do not emulate the bankers who at once returned to their old tricks once the eyes of the world were turned elsewhere.
Yes, Matt, it IS depressing. If I'm right - where's Cllr. Stanton when you need him? - that can only be changed though central government by amending the Local Government Act. This is something I hope the next Conservative (or whichever party wins) will review.
Like many councillor, Cllr. Dobbie *may* have supported the 'Cabinet' system when it was first being proposed - I genuinely don't know. BUT, having seen in 'live', he has clearly come to the conclusion that it's undemocratic and generally doesn't work well. For that reason alone, we should raise a glass to Cllr. Dobbie. People, especially politicians, who say 'we got it wrong' deserve our praise.
Reasonable, points Liz. I accept it was a *very* long time ago, but we did run the council between 1968-72. Way, way before my time. As recently as 2002, there were Conservatives on H'gey Cncl. Although I'm the local party chairman (declared!), I do try to think and act in a fair and independent manner. Labour councillors often remark to me that they miss the Conservatives because they, at least, gave them a run for their money and made council meetings more interesting and worthwgile, where the current Lib Dem 'opposition' more often than not rolls over and put their legs in the air!

I can assure you that the people running for H'gey Council as Conservatives in May's elections are a diverse crowd. They come from all works of life, backgrounds, ethnic origins and sexualities. They include doctors, nurses, teachers, lawyers, IT professionals, administrators and retired people. Sadly, we don't have any bankers (-:

Cllr. Dobbie has asked me to let you know that he's here for all residents from across Haringey and would welcome any suggestions on how the council could be run better and if you would like him to table a question on anything of borough-wide concern. alan.dobbie@haringey.gov.uk
Cllr Dobbie "has clearly come to the conclusion . . . "
" . . . here's the FULL text of the letter Cllr. Dobbie sent out to Labour members"
"Cllr Dobbie has asked me to let you know . . . "

Never mind communiqués and statements 'on behalf of'. When does the man himself get to speak? Are there a few Hol members (who are not also members of any political party) who'd like to meet Alan Dobbie - without his minders - for an on-the-record, live chat? Maybe in the Salisbury? It's only down the road from Noel Park where he lives.
Fair game. Maybe you could, Alan, also let us know why your colleagues think you should no-longer be on the Council, and the internal goings-on in the Tottenham Hale Branch? (-:
Banter aside Justin, we are interested in chatting with Cllr Dobbie, either here on-line or down the local pub. Why don't you suggest he join HOL for starters. Let's get some genuine debate going.
Matt, a face-to-face conversation is better. Online chat still lets the minders run things. That's why I also suggested excluding members of any political party.

With very few exceptions, most people who've been Mayor - and worn THAT chain - tend to get at least a touch of pomposity. Alan Dobbie would probably accept that applies to him, too. But he can be affable, has a sense of humour, and has no problem chatting to people.
I should add, Alan, that Cllr. Dobbie will now enjoy real freedoms on H'gey Cncl. He will vote with the Labour group when he thinks it's right, and against when he thinks it's wrong to do so (it's called - constructive opposition - take note Lib Dems!) Will you now follow suit as a de-selected cllr? To date, the best you have come up with was a couple of abstentions during your 11 years (?) as a Member.
Have just invited him via the Harringayonline invite.
Thanks Liz. I'm sure he has his own mind!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service