Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Picked up this idea from Old Age Emporium in another thread:

I still think a Credit Union might be even more useful than our late lamented Building Society - and more attuned to our "lower socio-economic" area. It would be a community asset which presumably would not involve any change of use.

Anyone know anything about credit unions? How do they get started? Are they effective? Thoughts?

Tags for Forum Posts: credit unions, local ideas

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're all mistaken there is a credit union in Harringay after all. Here it is on Google Maps:

Costcutter at Manor House tube is a credit union!? Well I never!
Good old Google, eh.
I wonder if that could be under the umbrella of Hackney Credit Union's (extended) 'common bond' ??
Or part of a wider Costcutter Credit Union setup ?

On the Haringey Council interest in CUs, I wonder if there's anything buried in the 'Haringey Social Enterprise Strategy 2007-2012' document. It does mention Hackney's Credit Union. Does the author's name ring a bell with anyone: Brian Millington of Haringey's Economic Regeneration Team - tel. 020 8489 2940 at River Park House ?
Hugh, 'Good old Google' sez you?
Google 0 : Shanks's Pony 3(Cheers, that is!)

On my way from John Scott Clinic just now I called in at Costcutter (Off Licence and Supermarket both.) Nobody there knows anything about a Credit Union, or even the concept. Both managers assured me that there is not, never was and never will be a CU there. The nearest thing to anything financial is a LINK Cash Machine/Pay Point 'top up' - to which they helpfully directed me!

So folks, Harringay/Haringey is still CU extra virgin territory.
(Thinks: if an Off Licence could host a credit union why not Metrobet or Agora ?)
There is an information session on Credit Unions in the Irish Centre, Camden Square next Friday.

Credit Union –Information Session – Friday 11th December at 1.30pm - find out what credit unions have to offer, how to join. Low interest rates on deposits, but then low interest rates on loans. No shareholders. Community based.

Further details in the Healthy Living Section London Irish Centre Website

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service