Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

BACK in November, the council advertised for two new senior PR officers at a salary of only £39,000.

Now, the council are advertising for a new "Strategy & Performance Assistant Director, Communications".

Doubtless some PR people wouldn't get out of bed for the kind of wages advertised earlier. Those who may now be interested, at an improved mid-range salary of c. £85,000, should apply here:

Another council PR job

(I'm sure it's a relief to everyone in these times of austerity to know that a lack of funds is not a problem for the council's most essential services.)

Tags for Forum Posts: PR, council, £90K

Views: 888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The FSA aren't paying that much and they're looking too (they need to spend all those fines or they have to give them back to the Treasury).

Despite protestations to the contrary, the council is awash with cash.

They've underspent budgets by approximately £13,000,000.

I remember a council employee (of the late unlamented and wasteful Neighbourhood Management Department) telling local residents that if £X funds weren't spent by the end of the year, we would "lose it". One wonders how many other council staff feel the same level of responsibility?

Here we're talking about the richest institution in the Borough, with unlimited funds to spend on the things that are important to them, including PR and misguided High Court legal defences of their own conduct that they knew, or should have known, was unlawful.

Have you heard, it's in the stars? Next July we collide with Mars. Well did you ever, Well, did you ever?
(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Eh?! What's in the stars?

Alan are you surprised that the council has up to £91,007 available for a new PR job? The true annual cost is likely to be significantly more, with National Insurance and pension contribution. Is it worth it?

Do you not think that it would be better if the council improved its real actual performance?

Rather than devoting time effort and money to telling the public how well its doing ... when in truth, in many areas, its not doing well at all?

I'm surprised, Clive, that you don't learn from your own successes and solid outcomes with careful patient work. Two examples: your outstanding report on Cllr Charles Adje; and your recent work following the Judicial Review on a Child Protection case. Reported in detail in the Broadway Ham & High - I assume largely due to your efforts.

So have you been equally assiduous in looking into this supposed "PR" job? Or is this a general swipe and gripe at the Council? Have you requested a Job Description to see what the post covers? Do tell us.

I'd guess that you and I share a detestation of the use of Council funds for propaganda. Whether it's Koberised "narrative" , or more traditional spin, PR and Newspeak when unpleasant facts are omitted or downplayed. Every time I walk along High Road Tottenham I feel embarrassment at posters advertising the absurd 12 in 2012 pledges. (One is about Bruce Grove Youth Centre, where Cllr Joe Goldberg keeps digging the PR hole he jumped into.)

Even though you'e a LibDem activist, Clive, I'm sure you recognise the same failings in your own party. If anyone wants to see Benjamin Franklin's "two blockheads: Blame-all and Praise-all", they can spend a minute or two watching Cllrs Claire Kober and Richard Wilson at council meetings.

Clive, you can do better than just parroting the party line on the publicity budget. For example, do you see no purpose at all in councils spending money publicising information? Would you rather people weren't told about Planning applications? (A legal requirement.) Should money be "saved" by cancelling campaigns to find foster parents? Who do you think ensures you get answers to your Freedom of Information Act questions? Council staff; or the F.o.I fairy?

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor - happily party whip-free)

MY objection to this new £90,000 post has nothing to do with parroting any party line and everything to do with drawing attention to the council's priorities. It would be better to get on with the job than worry about getting our message across.

It is a distraction to suggest that somehow this relates to the notification of planning applications.

The £90,000 job is a PR position and unlikely to have anything to do with the notification of planning applications, something that should be routine. This is an area in which some of my neighbours believe the council is already remiss and may be already failing in its statutory duties. These statutory requirements have nothing to do with PR and propaganda functions.

I have no special knowledge about fostering and foster parents, save to say that I believe the still unreformed Childrens Services Department needs first a shake up and more attention and second, more resources.

Can you not think of better ways to spend £90,000+ ?

I can.

So Clive, have you or haven't you asked for some solid information about what the job actually includes? If you have, please share it. If you haven't then please say so.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. Excommunicated)

Alan perhaps I am parroting myself as I have posted about this particular area of municipal waste before now. i.e. PR, including the propagandist Haringey Pravda People magazine. You may have forgotten possibly your best post ever, when you encouraged me to explore the potential of HP mag to line a cat litter tray.

If you click on the link I provided in my first post, you'd have seen what I now reproduce below. As an experienced councillor, perhaps you can interpret what it means for mere mortals (e.g. ensuring residents "feel connected" to the council). To this ingenue, it appears as a load of waffle:

London Borough of Haringey
Strategy & Performance
Assistant Director, Communications                 
Grade: SM5
£78,833-£91,007  
Ref: HJA/4841

About the role

We are looking for an experienced professional to lead communications across the Council. This is an exciting time for Haringey as we move forward with major change across the borough, including thorough substantial regeneration plans. The head of communications will help develop the council’s strategic narrative, ensuring it is effectively supported with real examples of change and effective service delivery. They will help ensure residents feel connected to the Council, and work with members, staff and partners across the Borough to build a strong reputation for the Council, and a clear understanding of its objectives across those groups and further afield.

The role involves the management of the whole communications team, including media, marketing, design and web. You will play a key role in the strategic leadership of the organisation. They will develop and implement communications strategies and help deliver significant change inside the Council through internal communications, and engagement.

About you

We are looking for a highly experienced communications professional who can demonstrate excellent strategic skills and an ability to form strong working relationships with a wide range of people and partners. You will understand how to build strong organisational reputations and have a proven ability to contribute effectively to this. You must have a sound understanding of how to operate effectively within a politically led environment. You will be able to demonstrate strong communications skills, backed up with experience, across media handling and social media, marketing, web, stakeholder and public engagement and internal communications.

You must be able to demonstrate excellent leadership skills and strong management abilities, an ability to drive improvements in value for money and efficiency and a commitment to equality and diversity. You will possess excellent written and oral communication skills. An understanding of how to develop policies and strategies within a public sector environment would be an advantage.

How to apply

To apply please go to www.haringey.gov.uk/jobs where you can complete your application online. You can access the internet for free at all of Haringey’s libraries.

Closing date: 5 April 2013.

Clive, although I'd avoid the phrase "strategic narrative" , I don't think there's anything very mysterious or even wasteful referred to in the ad itself. 

But the answer to my question appears to be: 'No'. You've read the original advert but haven't asked anything more. I'm disappointed.

Weren't you curious enough even to go on the website and download the supporting documents?  First click this link and then click the box on the right hand side of the page to view or download the Job Description and Person Specification. You'll find some interesting things.

For example they want someone with "a bias for action".  And who is: "able to demonstrate a customer focussed approach to management of the Service and to ensure this is consistently demonstrated across the service".

The person should be someone who can: "help develop, and to communicate and gain ownership for a clear vision and direction for the organisation". Plus an: "ability to role model collaborative leadership skills."

Wow. Imagine if we really got someone like that!

Wow. Imagine if we really got someone like that!

Alan I'm sure the council will get someone who for £90K can spout and parrot the goobledegook. And in respect of the phrases you've quoted: insofar as they make sense, should they not be the responsibility of the Council Leader?

Do you think £90K will get the right level of PR expert? Or do think that only a six-figure salary would guarantee the highest quality twaddle-merchant?

I fear I may wait in vain for your translation for, ensuring that residents feel connected to the council. This has to be some kind of yoke.

Going forward, let's secure the future together

Clive, I'm sorry to hear you've suddenly developed an aversion to Council staff who focus on the needs and wishes of residents. What happened? You used to be keen on this. 

And do you you really have a problem with someone who can "model collaborative leadership skills"?  Personally, I'm all for collaborative teamwork. Perhaps you prefer the current football fashion for: "the power of one."

Anyway, you usually want the last word in a discussion. So I'll leave you to type some repetition of what you've said before; slagging-off the council. Meanwhile, I shall be asking for some fresh information.

I've never seen a planning application - not even Grainger's - mentioned in the Haringey People.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service