Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

To those of you who signed the Green Lanes Gambling Petition (and those who yet might.......??)

The organisers had some success on Saturday with about 20 people protesting outside 32-33 Grand Parade. They gathered about 180 signatures. The on-line petition has another 33.

However, since Saturday I’ve taken a quick look at the Gambling Commission’s advice to local authorities on considering licence applications. And the 2005 Act, which came in to force as of 21st Sept this year, has significantly reduced the grounds on which licences can be refused.

Now the only grounds are pretty much:

"Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime."

What has explicitly been removed is the threat of public nuisance. Why on earth they did so, I’m not sure. The guidance explains that a nuisance is likely to become disorder if the police have to be involved.

We are about to see almost a doubling in the number of betting shops on Green Lanes. There are already at least 4. Do we need 7+?

Evidence suggests the nuisance we may expect is an increase in the number of men being attracted into the area and hanging around Green Lanes, probably with an accompanying increase in alcohol consumption. Quite apart from a possible downgrade of the general nature of Green Lanes (what will that do to property prices???), it may also impact on things like the experience of single women. I’ve recently been made aware that already quite a few single women feel a bit nervous walking down Green Lanes sometimes with shouted comments and catcalls from the gaggles of men hanging around.

Here is Wikipedia’s take on why an increase in gambling can be a problem.

As debts build up people turn to other sources of money such as theft, or the sale of drugs. A lot of this pressure comes from bookies or loan sharks that people rely on for capital to gamble with. Also, a teenager that does not receive treatment for pathological gambling when in their desperation phase is likely to contemplate suicide. 20% of teenagers that are pathological gamblers do consider suicide.

Abuse is also common in homes where pathological gambling is present. Growing up in such a situation leads to improper emotional Child development development and increased risk of falling prey to problem gambling behaviour.

Other problems associated with compulsive gambling can be personal relationships. In a 1991 study of relationships of men, it was found that 10% of compulsive gamblers had been married three or more times. Only 2% of men who did not gamble were married more than twice.

Tags for Forum Posts: betting shops, gamblingg, licensing

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apparently the clinic on Burgoyne Road, which used to be a baby clinic is going to be transformed into a young person's mental health day unit. Imagine the combination of easy access to gambling and that service!!
Actually Lucy that's really useful to know. Protection of vulnerable people is one of only two possible ground the council will be able to consider. I'll pass it on to the petition organisers.
This site is on the corner of my road and already at that end of my road , in fact in the flats next door to there, there are already young girls prostituting themselves , drugs etc..do we really need 'another 'betting shop and in such a location that would enhance a high sense of crime and drugs!!!!!!!!

What is it with green lanes at the moment..if its not a betting shop it's an estate agents or a restaurant...should there not be a variety of companies that would perhaps enhance the area in a more positive way...

I would like to very much petition against this betting shop !!!!!!!!
Where can I sign it?
Sadly it's now closed. It had to be submitted on Friday.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service