Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

From the Haringey Independent
A home owner has been fined more than £500 after piling up rubbish in his front garden.

Haringey Council sent an officer to investigate after being alerted to the mess at the house in St Ann's Road, Tottenham, four months ago.

The homeowner was issued with a notice on June 12 under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 to remove the refuse within 28 days.

But on July 11 the rubbish was still there and the owner was warned that legal action would be taken.

The case was heard on September 22 at Haringey magistrates court but the owner failed to attend the hearing. Magistrates fined the defendant £265, plus £250 costs.

More here

Tags for Forum Posts: front gardens, rubbish

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If they have been warned then I suppose they had ample time to get rid. We have done that loads of times until we had finished a job, then took it to the tip.

It does seem to me though that the council do opt for easy pickings; Lost pet signs, refuse in front garden, smokers who drop butts (police I know really) and the fly tipping increases and nothing happens - or at least seems like nothing happens.
I had a landlord once who used our back yard to dump ALL his old rubbish. The mouse and rat problem we had a result was horrendous, despite all our efforts. My current neighbour has building rubbish piled up, my cat is loving it in there, wonder why?

It may be 'easy' (although reading the story not that easy to get it resolved, he was given plenty of opportunity to comply) but it is important to deal with this stuff, it's not 'an either / or' situation.
When I phoned the council once about a rainforest growing in next doors garden with exacerbating wildlife and rodent populations, they said they couldn’t do anything……even though it was one of their properties!

Maybe it’s because they were liable to have it cut down.
I agree with Liz. There is too much glib talk about easy targets. After all if you were stabbed in the street in front of a police officer would you like him to shrug and say "sod this I think I'll go and arrest Radko Mladic"
Most people get warnings of the likely outcome of their behavior. It's much more constructive to educate people but when they want to push the limits of toleration they get what's coming to them.
Unless they own a big fat cat that goes walkies: then the leader of the council steps in a lets them stick litter all over the place which they don't take back down (see the state of the north end of the passage).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service