Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Over on another discussion on the site, in response to a question asked by Rachel, I've mused that a striking modernist piece of architecture would be far preferable for the Salisbury site to a carbuncle that's ashamed and trying to hide itself. I said that there were loads of example around the world of new architecture successfully set against old.

Shall we try and inspire the Council? Can you guys help with some examples??

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Love it? Hate it?

I'm in love with the idea of having excellent contemporary architecture in Harringay.

This architectural practice does a lot of good work - and in particular the HZ House

Also, I know these developers really well, Igloo , and they've done this in Bermondsey which includes mixed use development.

There are a lot of opportunities for good design - and in theory the planning process is set up to promote it... but obviously this doesn't always happen.

Another idea would be to have an architectural competition which was judged by local residents. Maybe not for this site, but another one?

The problem as I see it is that much of the contemporary housing is pastiche and designed to be 'unobtrusive'. It results in being slightly anemic but at least it's inoffensive...
Ooh, can I knock down my Victorian and build an HZ house in its place?
I know - it's amazing! and you can build whole neighbourhoods out of them....
This is what we're talking about:

Ooh, can I knock down my Victorian and build an HZ house in its place?
No.. But you could perhaps add a roof Extension like this: :o)

U-Bahnhof Warschauer Straße
Lidl, Berlin-Friedrichshain
What about this one in Wood Green?The comments suggest that reaction is divided on it.
Grey is a bit ugly, no?
Yes it's foul. Coin Street have got it right, in every way possible.
Every 'Wow!' and 'stunning' and 'amazing' that greets these Legoland constructions renews my appreciation of my 1880's Victorian terrace, despite being sandwiched between WR and Railway.
An interesting project in East Manchester The Rebirth of Toxteth Street (scroll down and click on find out more to see plans)combines the community friendly layout of the Vicotrian terrace with modern refurbishment and sustainable development of an established community.
This interests me greatly as I don't want to see the destruction of Victorian buildings but I do believe that old and new can coexist with a good architect and local input.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service