Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Nothing for Harringay or St Ann's this week, but just got an alert on 1st floor at The Salisbury - application to retain as a place of worship.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More action over Salisbury way - planning permission has just been submitted to build 8 flats on the land that's now the garage behind the pub that was sold last year.

Groan.

The design plans at least look sympathetic (see attached), but I'm not sure what it'll do for our grand old building.

Planning application viewable here.
Attachments:
Hard to criticise the plans with only that information attached. Better use of the land than recent useage. Building up for more housing has happened everywhere in Islington and in principle makes perfect sense if the height of the development is in keeping with the surroundings.
Ben, Your objections appear to be based on casting needless aspersions. That's hardly neighbourly is it.
Our doctor's surgery expanded from 2 to 5 doctors a couple of years ago because of increased demand. He runs a very good practice.

As you'll know Ben, coming from Richmond, development always occurs and smart entrepreneurs spot the needs for extra business as a result of changing demographics, including doctors. Nimbyism isn't the considered reaction to change is ones area. It's a mere emotional reaction.

This development is being built behind the Salisbury, the arse end. It's actually a smart use of that land, certainly compared to your idea of a 'beer garden'. Not realistic!
Yes a beer garden is what we need, not some ponsy building
At least make them build some underground parking if they're going to do it.
They have made provision for two parking spaces (according to the application - although the drawing appears to show 4) and 16 bedrooms in total (Let's not kid ourselves that these will be family homes).

Whilst building is inevitable, I am concerned about the impact of this significant new buidling right next to Harringay's most important, and listed building. It has been designed to be sympathetic, but the scale of the building cannot help but have a detrimental effect on our landmark listed building.
There are 4 car parking spaces. The application states 2 new spaces in addition to the 2 exisiting. Overall the plans don't look too bad, but I'll go down at the weekend and have a look at them on site to get an understanding of the rooflines etc. The flats all look to be a reasonable size anyway.
This is rather a surprising development in the light of the current problems in the housing market, the glut of flats and the shelving of a number of flat developments recently. It is family housing we need but family homes next to pubs would be rather unpopular I would suggest , so these flats are probably not aimed at families. One wonders who will buy them and then who will live in them.

Like Hugh I am concerned that the new build should be symapthetic to a listed building, look at the eye sore they built across the road whose bottom half stands empty and which was not at all in keeping with the rest of the area, the original plans did not look like that from what I recall

It is not Nimbyism to take an interest in the development of the neighbourhood and to want to be involved. One has to consider the impact of any new development on the surrounding area in terms of waste generated, strain on parking and infrastructure and possible uses that the flats will have. I would like to see a more stringent process for evaluating new development to maintain the character of an area and avoid detrimental effects, one can hardly have faith when faced with the Arena shopping complex or the Coliseum that the neighbourhoods best interests are being considered.
I'm not sure that there are four Caroline. In the application there are two columns with figures which relate to this issue. In the first colum headed "Total proposed including spaces retained", it says 2. In the second column, headed "Difference in Spaces", it says 2. So I've read this as 2 spaces in total. Is there something I missed?
Hi guys - I've just had a read through of the planning application and a look at the drawings and everything. Frankly it all seems pretty in order to me. There is a need for more than just family housing in Harringay, a lot of young professional types in the neighbourhood (i.e. my friends) are in the market for 1 / 2 / 3 bedroom flats.

I wish that we could have a slightly more interesting design - and some thought given to a sustainable urban drainage system (not just concrete) but contaminated land is a bear.

I'm not enamoured of the on-site parking... but given that it's a garage now... Also in terms of why you couldn't build family housing there - this is contaminated land. You couldn't have a garden (e.g. that small people would play in) on a site that had been used as a garage.

In terms of the roofline - 3 stories shouldn't compete with the Sals for visual character - it will only be visible from St Anns and from Green Lanes (as you head to Manor House). There isn't an issue with overlooking gardens.

Other than the objection to increased housing density - there aren't very strong planning grounds for an objection on this one. (obviously that's just my opinion though).

In terms of population density, that won't really fly as an objection to the council because the overarching Mayor's plan is to do 'urban infill' which means taking underused sites (like this one) and building housing on them - this is the alternative to building up the greenbelt.

My only concern is that we have quite a lot of under utilised (empty) commercial on Green Lanes already, adding an extra few commercial premises probably isn't the answer (but I keep coming back to the contamination issue)... so I guess that's the easiest way for the developer to make back some money.

That said - if there is going to be new commercial property - maybe we could start thinking about what would be good there and suggest to the developer that they look to lease it to those kinds of businesses.
Thanks Rachel, it's good to have someone on the site who knows what they are looking at and can make considered judgments on these matters.

There is of course a need for all kinds of housing but my worry about lack of family housing is that when these same professionals decide they want to have families, they often leave the area for lack of decent affordable properties and if an area is to be truly vibrant, I do think that families must be encouraged to stay, use local schools and amenities and put down roots here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service